Can't Uninstall expired WHS Trial Version RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the trial WHS and now want to install a proper version (I have the disks), but it won't allow me to do anything.

I can't seem to boot from the disk (I have gone into set up, set boot from dvd), and gone into F12 and tried to boot from dvd, but still no luck,

It only boots into the loaded trial version, asks me to log on, then asks for my product key (it won't accept the new one).  

Any suggestions on how to remove the expired trial version would be gratefully received.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:08 PM

Answers

• Then something is wrong! You need to sort out why it's not booting from your installation disc, which it should and you should then be able to wipe your existing installation. Do you have some other boot disk (your Windows boot disk?) you could try or perhaps download a Linux distribution (or this: http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html) and see if you can boot from that. If so you could then wipe the current WHS installation. In any case, if it's not booting from the WHS installation disk you need to find out why as it's likely these other alternatives wont boot either.
    • Marked as answer by pobblestone Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:56 PM

All replies

• Then something is wrong! You need to sort out why it's not booting from your installation disc, which it should and you should then be able to wipe your existing installation. Do you have some other boot disk (your Windows boot disk?) you could try or perhaps download a Linux distribution (or this: http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html) and see if you can boot from that. If so you could then wipe the current WHS installation. In any case, if it's not booting from the WHS installation disk you need to find out why as it's likely these other alternatives wont boot either.
    • Marked as answer by pobblestone Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 12:56 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt reply.

I'd been at this for hours, and finally tried (as per your suggestion) a windows 7 disk, which for the first time brought up a "boot from dvd" note.  I changed back to the server disk and rebooted and it's installing.  No idea why the hang earlier, but thanks again!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Pleased to be of service. Sometimes just the act of asking the question and getting a response from a different perspective is all it takes to resolve the problem.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:47 PM