Unable to open diagcab files (Vista) RRS feed

• Question

• To address any future complaints about this question before they occur:

1. This question pertains to fixit because the program uses diagcab files
    2. I was specifically referred here by a Microsoft support engineer

From http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/unable-to-open-diagcab-files/e7f8e4e5-b442-4e53-af7a-90e74985a73f:

Unable to open diagcab files

Hello,
    I should be able to open *.diagcab files, but currently there is no program associated with this file type. I have run disk check and sfc, but the problem has not been fixed. 
    Maybe someone can post a *.reg file that would simply add the required registry settings. MSDT is installed where it should be; I just lack the registry settings associating *.diagcab files with it.
    If I cannot repair this, I will probably have to complete an in-place repair, which I would very much like to avoid.
    Also, here is a command prompt showing the current state of my registry:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    C:\Windows\system32>REG QUERY HKCR\.diagcab
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
    C:\Windows\system32>REG QUERY HKCR\Diagnostic.Cabinet /S
    C:\Windows\system32>REG QUERY HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.diagcab
    C:\Windows\system32>REG QUERY HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Diagnostic.Cabinet /S
    C:\Windows\system32>

Thanks in advance.

1) I was trying to open the Microsoft "fix it" file of "windowsupdate.diagcab."
    2) I was having some issues installing updates; however, I have solved these issues and was able to install all available updates. In spite of this, I still cannot open the Microsoft fixit solution, and would like to solve this issue so that next time I have problems I can run the Microsoft fixit solutions.
    3) http://sdrv.ms/Yv28gD

4) Not any more, since the issues with windows update are resolved, but I would like to allow myself to open these files so that if any future issues arise, I can run Microsoft fixit solutions.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:47 PM

All replies

• go to the Microsoft fixit center support website at: fixitcenter . support . Microsoft . com

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:20 PM