WHS 2011 move folder hanging RRS feed

• Question

• Hang up when trying to move a folder.

The move hangs at "stopping the sharing for the folder at original location" Shows 0% complete.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:11 PM

All replies

• Can you access all the files in that share?  Hard drives healthy?  Definitely file a bug report in connect.  It would help if you would post specs, drive sizes, folder names, files, etc if possible.  Hard to help with such limited info.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 11:50 PM
  • I have done several moves that had 40-100GB data, this was from one drive to another internal.

Is this what you are doing, from one drive to another internal?

--
    Don
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:58 AM
  • It happens to me anytime I try and move/copy files from any external to the shared folders in the server.
    Jeff
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:12 AM
  • I had initially successfully moved the empty sharefolders to an external USB drive. 

I was then trying to move the large populated ( 90 - 100 GB ) shared folders from one external drive to bigger external drive.

Just the sort of thing one would do in order to manage storage in the absence of DE ?

The WHS system is a HP LX195 with a 640GB internal HD and two USB HDs, one 1TB and the other 1.5TB

Thursday, February 10, 2011 4:10 PM
  • My impression of "move folder" was for internal drives. You have 2 internal drives the first one starts to reach maximum so you "move folder" to second drive. This is just an example and what I have done. There is very little information published about this but from what I read it is what it is for.

I am testing with a couple of 1TB drives. The main shared folders are on the first drive. I then started to use "archive" from WMC to Recorded TV folder resulting in large amounts of data to the first drive. What I did then was to "move folder" which was the Recorded TV to the second drive and it worked perfectly. I still use archive but it goes to the second drive now instead of the first drive with all the other shared folders.

I also have external drives, one is the main and a back up to switch these around when needed. All my information and server backup is on one external.

--
    Don
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:58 AM
  • From the "Getting Started" Guide:

Easy to Add More Storage<o:p></o:p>

From the Windows Home Server 2011 Dashboard you can format new uninitialized hard drives using a simple wizard. As you add formatted drives, you can move your shared folders to specific storage device using the �??Move the folder�?� wizard. We recommend using external hard drives for backups only, and keeping all data and server folders on internal hard drives since external hard drives can be easily disconnected.

--
    Don
    Friday, February 11, 2011 4:12 AM
  • Unfortunately my WHS machine is an HP LX195 which can only have one internal drive. It has four USB ports to use for additional storage. (See my other threads re. problem trying to replace 640GB HD with 1.5TB.)

Given these limitations, I would have hoped that the USB drives could be given the same functionality as additional internal drives. WHS1 had no problem using them for DE !!

Yes, I KNOW that they could be "easily disconnected" but this is not likely since my WHS system, like many's, is deliberately stored out of the way in a closet.

Friday, February 11, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Having the same issue moving between 2 internal drives.
    Mike Marcoux
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:33 AM
  • Same problem here.  I tried rebooting... I'm not sure what else to do. I'll try emptying the folder first and then "moving" it.   

This tool seems like one of the most poorly designed features of WHS 2011.  I carefully synced my data to the folders that I wanted to setup as my media libraries but then I couldn't find a simple way to change the folder that WHS was looking at.   Is there a non-wizard way of changing the folder that these special shares are pointing to?  

-Donald

Monday, February 28, 2011 12:34 AM