none
How to create Firefox Extension to send active tab URL to its Native similar to chrome native messaging and install it through msi RRS feed

• Question

• I have already developed a C# win form application and a chrome extension with native messaging (another C# console app) to fetch user's active tab url. I have also developed an msi setup in WiX to write under the registry (HKLM/SOFTWARE/Wow6432Node/Google/Chrome/Extensions and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts) programmatically and tested the installation of the chrome extension by running the setup on different Windows 7 machines. I am publishing this extension on chrome web store and then I shall install the extension on several client computers.

I want to accomplish the same with Mozilla Firefox. I am newbie in this field and going through some Firefox developers guides (XPCOM, js-ctypes etc.) and getting little confused with multiple links.

It would be of great help if anyone can guide me towards the exact solution. Please note that,

1. I have to install the extension programmatically through the same msi package which already contains my own C# app and the chrome extension with native app and
    2. the client machines will be Windows only but any version (XP (optional), 7, 8, Server anything).
    • Moved by Barry Wang Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:17 AM
    Monday, November 24, 2014 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hello bisCoder,

Thanks for your participation in C# forum.

The two parts you mentioned seems not appropriate to be posted in C# forum, althougth you your using C# language.

If you want to install msi extensions to Mozilla Firefox, you should search for  Mozilla Firefox support team to consult how to create this kind of package.

For example, search for support here:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/get-community-support

For Wix specific forum:

If you have any C# language related issue, please feel free to post here.

If you have any Windows Form UI API related question, please post on

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winforms

Best regards,

Barry
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:17 AM
  • Many thanks Barry for those important information. I shall definitely follow these. I think I should post it at Firefox Developer Forum at first as you suggested. Thanks again.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:19 AM