Question about Landing Pages RRS feed

• Question

• Brett,

In one of the threads you said that Live does not like landing pages.  A couple of questions I'm hoping you could address:

Could you define "landing page"?  (I've found various definitions but would like to know how MSN defines the term.)

Why doesn't Live like them - what is it that is seen to be wrong?

What sort of penalty is attached to the landing page, and how does this affect other pages of the website?

Thanks for your help....Duane

Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Duane,

When I say "landing pages" I mean pages can't really stand on their own. For example: any page that gives you an option to skip or click through to the content or product is a landing page. There is also the duplicate content effect for machine generated landing pages, but that is a different issue. Lordok hit the target on why ALL of the SEs don't like them. In regards to penalties, you probably won't get a very high page score (not PR); having many of them could drop your PR significantly or get you kicked out of the index. But if your site is highly trafficked with many relevant backlinks, it probably won't affect it too much.

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Duane,

Great questions and I hope you get them answered.

The main issue I can see with landing pages is that they can be and are abused (as we have seen in my other thread) - where people will create thousands upon thousands of landing pages to spam the search index. Why spam? because they usually all have the same content and contain no useful information to the user. The main focus of the SEs is end user - if they have irrelevant or "bad" SERPs them people use another SE.

But that is just from what I have read. Brett should be able to clarify that for you.

As to the last two questions....over to Brett...

All the best,

Lordok.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 1:32 AM
  • Hi Duane,

When I say "landing pages" I mean pages can't really stand on their own. For example: any page that gives you an option to skip or click through to the content or product is a landing page. There is also the duplicate content effect for machine generated landing pages, but that is a different issue. Lordok hit the target on why ALL of the SEs don't like them. In regards to penalties, you probably won't get a very high page score (not PR); having many of them could drop your PR significantly or get you kicked out of the index. But if your site is highly trafficked with many relevant backlinks, it probably won't affect it too much.

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Thanks, Brett....Duane

Saturday, September 6, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Hi Brett & Duane,

I may as well state the obvious and say that does not in any way seem fair.

The little guys must tow the line, but the bigger more established players get to flout the rules.

Lordok.
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 9:01 AM