Backups: Why The System? RRS feed

• Question

• Using WHS's backup facility to back up other PCs on the home LAN, I can see backing up data drives.

Buy why would anybody want to back up a system drive via incremental backups instead of an image?

Seems like the main reason one would need to recover their system would be that it had become somehow corrupted: malware, virus infestation, corrupted files, whatever.

That being the case, it seems like one would want to restore from a known good image and restoring from the latest incremental backup would just re-establish the same problem.

Am I missing something?
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:33 AM

Answers

• Using WHS's backup facility to back up other PCs on the home LAN, I can see backing up data drives.

Buy why would anybody want to back up a system drive via incremental backups instead of an image?

It's still a full backup every day, but it only copies new/updated files to the server (the rest are just markers pointing to the files that didn't change).

Seems like the main reason one would need to recover their system would be that it had become somehow corrupted: malware, virus infestation, corrupted files, whatever.

That being the case, it seems like one would want to restore from a known good image and restoring from the latest incremental backup would just re-establish the same problem.

Am I missing something?

By default, WHS keeps multiple backups over multiple days.  If, in your example, you got a virus 3 days ago, just restore the backup from 4 days ago.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:41 AM
  • As far as the end user is concerned, every backup looks like a full backup. That backups only incrementally send changed and new clusters to the server is a detail that the user doesn't care about, except in that it makes for more efficient storage for backups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:22 AM

All replies

It's still a full backup every day, but it only copies new/updated files to the server (the rest are just markers pointing to the files that didn't change).

Am I missing something?

By default, WHS keeps multiple backups over multiple days.  If, in your example, you got a virus 3 days ago, just restore the backup from 4 days ago.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 12:41 AM
  • As far as the end user is concerned, every backup looks like a full backup. That backups only incrementally send changed and new clusters to the server is a detail that the user doesn't care about, except in that it makes for more efficient storage for backups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 2:22 AM
  • If, in your example, you got a virus 3 days ago, just restore the backup from 4 days ago.
    Now it makes sense.

Instead of taking an image of the known good system, one just writes down the date when it was known to be good and restores to that date if something goes South.

Thanks.
    Saturday, April 4, 2009 1:53 PM