cannot restore microsoft money backup/system requests password RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem as I cannot restore a backup of microsoft money. The system requests a password and I never had one to my knowledge. I was having computer virus problems and was able to repair them by updating to windows 7. Now I cannot restore the money back up. Was running xp before.  
    Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:03 PM

All replies

• Let's sort through some basics.

You have reinstalled what version of Money? (From Money Help|About.) And you have opened the sample file or temporarily creaed a new data file so you could get all of Money's Internet Updates?

You are trying to restore your Money DATA from a backup file created by Money? That file has a .MBF extension?

You are sure the version of Money you reinstalled was as high or higher than the one you used to write the file in the first place?

Sunday, September 26, 2010 6:01 PM
  • I have installed money 2000 standard, which I am pretty sure it is a higher version that I had been running previously. It is definately an .mbf file. Is there a way for me to get the information off the file in another way?
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:57 PM
  • If you were running a later version, that is exactly your problem. Money has a goofy way of saying "older versions can't read newer versions' files".

You will need to get to the version (and, if M05, service level) you were running when you wrote the backup file in order to read the backup file.

Barring that, and if you were running a US local edition, you could consider downloading and installing MoneyPlus Sunset edition. You can get it at Microsoft Downloads. But the complication here is that you will need to first upgrade to an intermediate version IF you file was written by a version M02 (???) or older. There are details of that in the MSKB. At least for a little while yet.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:35 AM