Creating WHS Service RRS feed

• Question

• The first line of the SDK documentation states "The SDK for Windows Home Server is designed for programming hobbyists ........" I'm using Visual C# 2005 Express, but because of this I am unable to write a windows service, MSDN states that I must be using 2005 Professional or above to be able to use a windows service template.

A shame. Is there anyway around this?

Saturday, April 14, 2007 11:16 AM

Answers

•  Mattyg76 wrote:

Do it the old-fashioned way, by writing the code yourself? The template isn't there, but there's nothing magical about writing a service. There's plenty of documentation in MSDN about the requirements, and a little (less than 2 minutes) digging on Google found this VB template for a service. It looks complete.
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 1:08 PM

All replies

•  Mattyg76 wrote:

Do it the old-fashioned way, by writing the code yourself? The template isn't there, but there's nothing magical about writing a service. There's plenty of documentation in MSDN about the requirements, and a little (less than 2 minutes) digging on Google found this VB template for a service. It looks complete.
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 1:08 PM
  • Great info Ken, I'm not very good at coding so I tend to rely on templates to give me a base and then modify it from there. Thats how I'm learning, just a little bit at a time..Wink

Rex Geissinger

Sunday, April 15, 2007 7:41 PM
  • With absolutely no offense meant, Rex, in order to create something both useful and new you'll have to become reasonably good at coding. You don't have to be a genius, able to leap tall compilers in a single bound, but you have to be familiar enough with the tools and language to be able to get your bearings quickly, and figure out how to get from where you are to where you need to be.

Pointers to sample applications are all well and good, like the sample service code above or the Visual C# console add-in project template I supplied elsewhere, but all that does is give you something that works and does a particular thing (the template says "Hello" Smile ). By the time you get it to do what you want, you're either pretty good at coding or you've given up.
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 8:34 PM
  • This is true Ken, It's my poor mans approach to "Self education" every time every time I come across something I havent done before I start looking at examples (or Templates) and use them as, I guess a psuedo textbook. Often I find my self over complicating things and then find the whole thing elsewhere written with just a couple of lines of code, At that point Ive learned something.

Oh, and dont worry Ken, absolutely no offense taken, I'm more the Sys Admin and IT person. Coding is new, and more of a growing interest for me but not part of my job, and it's great to have people like yourself here that often give us help (whether they know it or not.) Ask me about Win Servers, I probably have the answer, Ask me about Coding and I'll point them to someone Like yourself Smile

Rex Geissinger

Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:37 PM