none
Where am I? RRS feed

Answers

• I figured it out, written 2 times in small print - Network Infrastructure Servers

I can't see it, I want it at the top. I don't want 20 copies of the same information.

CarolChi

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:04 AM
  • I want someone to look at my screen shot and tell me what forum I was in when I took it.
    I cannot tell and I keep getting told off for posting in the wrong place.

The forums have the ability to display not only a single forum, but also arbitrary collections of forums. The collection being viewed may be seen by expanding the left rail. In your case, though, I think you are viewing a single forum (Network Infrastructure Servers) because all the posts seem to be in that forum (see the second line in each thread).

But your question is really about asking questions in the right forum. When you click Ask a Question in a forum view, if you are viewing a single forum (as in your case) then that forum will be selected on the Submit page (you can change it by clicking "change"). But if you are viewing multiple forums, then no forum is selected, and you must choose one using the Category and Forum boxes.

IMHO, the design of this Submit page could be greatly improved. Most particularly, when a forum is selected, its name should be in a more prominent font, and the description of the purpose of the forum should be displayed. (This description is displayed, as a mouse-over, in many places in the forums, but not in this one place where it would be really useful.)

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

• Marked as answer by Carol Chisholm Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:46 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:57 AM

All replies

• To enable us to help you better, you need to provide as many details as you can about the problem you are experiencing.
    If you design your question effectively, you can get good information from people who are knowledgeable about the topic and who are happy to help you.

Prepare your question. Think it through. Hasty-sounding questions get hasty answers, or none at all.

What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    Also please supply your systems specs, OS, Browser.
    Suggestions for asking for help on a site.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:52 AM
  • I want someone to look at my screen shot and tell me what forum I was in when I took it.

CarolChi

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:55 AM
  • BTW but not pertinent. Windows 8, IE10, poky new HP desktop, 2x24" monitors on display ports.

CarolChi

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Perhaps I should explain - I got in trouble for posting in the wrong place. The forum moderator sent me a link to the "right" place. When I clicked on the link I got the screen in my screen shot, but I have no way of knowing where the link actually took me.

Note that I normally use Google for searching forums (Bing always talks to be in Germany because I live in Switzerland), not the forum homepage which I think has a left rail with forum titles.

CarolChi

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:00 AM
  • I figured it out, written 2 times in small print - Network Infrastructure Servers

I can't see it, I want it at the top. I don't want 20 copies of the same information.

CarolChi

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:04 AM

The forums have the ability to display not only a single forum, but also arbitrary collections of forums. The collection being viewed may be seen by expanding the left rail. In your case, though, I think you are viewing a single forum (Network Infrastructure Servers) because all the posts seem to be in that forum (see the second line in each thread).

But your question is really about asking questions in the right forum. When you click Ask a Question in a forum view, if you are viewing a single forum (as in your case) then that forum will be selected on the Submit page (you can change it by clicking "change"). But if you are viewing multiple forums, then no forum is selected, and you must choose one using the Category and Forum boxes.

IMHO, the design of this Submit page could be greatly improved. Most particularly, when a forum is selected, its name should be in a more prominent font, and the description of the purpose of the forum should be displayed. (This description is displayed, as a mouse-over, in many places in the forums, but not in this one place where it would be really useful.)

• Marked as answer by Carol Chisholm Wednesday, July 24, 2013 12:46 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:57 AM
  • I agree : different info different colour, or different font.

Now about the view all function:

Here it gives me this list:

view all in this forum

In a TechNet forum it give me another list:

all forums is not all forums

If we're going to mix up all the forums can we have them ALL together, of not can we separate them out.

CarolChi

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:05 PM
  • If we're going to mix up all the forums can we have them ALL together, of not can we separate them out.

I agree with you that the different "brands" of forums create confusion (and many bugs) in the interface. I'm not quite sure how to resolve these issues however.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:03 PM
  • There is a voting thread in the Suggestions forum for this topic. I am not going to search for it right now, but I will give you a TechNet article that lists many requests to improve interface and provides voting threads for many of such requests

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/17968.new-forums-design-suggestions-impressions-ideas.aspx

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:44 PM
  • Actually, in the original screen image above, just because a few threads have breadcrumbs indicating the name of a forum, does not mean you are in that forum. As noted, the list of threads could be from more than one, even many (or all) forums. In your screen shot you are not seeing some information. There is a gray arrow in the upper left. When you click it, a list of forums and/or forum categories is displayed on the left, as shown in some of the later screen shots in the replies above. If you are in one forum, there will be just the one forum selected (with a check box). Otherwise, you might see several forums selected. The gray arrow icon is easy to miss.

I try to always be in one forum at a time, so I know where I am. I wear different hats depending on where I am. It is too easy to get confused otherwise. It would help a lot if the browser tab indicated the name of the forum (unless more than one is selected).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, July 26, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Carol, it looks like the 'snap bar' was closed. You can find more information on how to expand this, if it happens in the future, here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18110.msdntechnet-forums-how-to-use-more-page-space.aspx

Forums Program Manager

Monday, July 29, 2013 5:04 PM