Problem re-loading WHS software RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Well my problem is that I am having a problem reloading WHS.

I had installed a WHS and everything seemed to be working perfectly. I decided to update (windows update) and after the reboot it said I needed to activate.

Well, since I want to try it out for a while and see how it works for what I want to do (music and video streaming) and not activate it yet, I decided to wipe the disk and re install.

It copies the setup files and then goes the the greenish/blue back screen, but I don't get any else after that. It will sit for over two hours like that and I get nothing.

I tried another HDD (western digital, same as the first one), and it did the same thing.

Now I haven't tried resetting the BIOS, and I do have a different DVD drive than when I initally installed it, and different keyboard and monitor, but would that make a difference?

It's driving me crazy (and my lonely wife even more...hehe).....anyone know what the problem might be? I'd like to get this installed.

If it makes a difference.....the computer is a 1.7GHZ Intel with 512MB DDR memory.

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:35 PM

Answers

• Well, it seems WHS is more finicky than my 5 yr old at dinner.

After putting my HP DVD Drive into the server and booting up, it copied the install files and then started the install like it was supposed to do.

I have spent DAYS moving files around HDDs to try a different one, as well as checking the HDDs and other things from simple to complex.

A darn DVD drive. I guess all I can do is laugh (The wife sure is not laughing at the time I am spending on it).

Thanks for the help Theo.

Rick
    • Marked as answer by SlickRick H Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:38 AM

All replies

• SlickRick H said:

...] It copies the setup files and then goes the the greenish/blue back screen, but I don't get any else after that. It will sit for over two hours like that and I get nothing.[...

Any errors?

...] I do have a different DVD drive than when I initally installed it [...

Make sure not to remove the installation DVD before completely installing WHS. Also some users have reported installation problems with certain DVD-drives. If possible try installing with another unit...?

Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 10:21 PM
  • Thanks for the response.

I get no errors at all. It just hangs at the greenish/blue screen that has no windows or anything. I can move the mouse around but have nothing else.

I did leave the DVD in the whole time, but on the reinstall, I did place an older (and crappier) DVD drive into it. I'll break open my main computer and grab the HP DVD writer I used the first time and see if that makes a difference.

After posting this, I read a thread where someone had to use the same DVD drive they initially used for their install to reinstall WHS.

I'll try it out tonight and see.

Also, does Microsoft not allow the updates for installs that have not been activated? From what I hear, some of the things I want to try out are only available in PP1 updated through windows update.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Well, it seems WHS is more finicky than my 5 yr old at dinner.

After putting my HP DVD Drive into the server and booting up, it copied the install files and then started the install like it was supposed to do.

I have spent DAYS moving files around HDDs to try a different one, as well as checking the HDDs and other things from simple to complex.

A darn DVD drive. I guess all I can do is laugh (The wife sure is not laughing at the time I am spending on it).

Thanks for the help Theo.

Rick
    • Marked as answer by SlickRick H Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:38 AM