none
System and Data partitions on separate drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I am trying to get WHS to install the system on one hard drive and Data on another. But i can get it to work.
    I dont want to have 2 partitions on 1 drive. But when i inastalled it with 2 drives it placed system and Data on the same drive.

How do i put System and Data on separate drives?
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:27 PM

Answers

•  Separating the system and data partitions onto separate drives is not really possible without fairly deep knowledge of how Windows Installations work, and it's definitely completely unsupported.

You should allow WHS to create the system partition and the primary data partition on a single drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 26, 2008 4:37 PM

All replies

•  Separating the system and data partitions onto separate drives is not really possible without fairly deep knowledge of how Windows Installations work, and it's definitely completely unsupported.

You should allow WHS to create the system partition and the primary data partition on a single drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 26, 2008 4:37 PM
  • WHS is purposely designed to provide data redundancy. Let the install set up the partitions it needs! WHS uses what MS calls "Drive Extender" technology. MS has a white paper explaining it here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/support.mspx that goes into the details if you want. Remember, WHS is a HOME server. It has the intellegence built in so that the average user doesn't have to think or worry about how to configure drives and partitions. After you've completed the standard install, be sure to turn on folder duplication. This will provide the data redundancy you want.

Regards,
    Scott
    Friday, December 26, 2008 7:50 PM
  • I wanted it on 2 drives mostly because i had and IDE as the system drive and sata as the data drives. Now i have scraped that idea and installed WHS on a sata drive and took my last ide drive out of commision.

Thanks for the help.
    Friday, December 26, 2008 8:21 PM