OCS as PBX RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

We've been playing around with OCS for a while now. We would like to use it as a stand-alone system without a third-party PBX.

Ofcourse this requires that OCS can deliver the same features (or nearly the same) as our current PBX.

One of these features is the following:

When someone calls to our general office phone number they receive a welcome message and then the call is automatically transfered to our receptionist. When her phone is busy. Other phones start ringing. This is what i think 90% of companies do with incoming calls.

With OCS I don't have Music on Hold. So no welcome message?

With OCS a phone number is linked to an OCS user. In our case we're talking ofcourse about a general company number which in turn is routed to the secretaries number. I could give our secretary as phone number the general number but what happens when she's already on the phone? The calling end receives a busy tone. -> not very pro. What happens when she's not at her desk for a few minutes? The calling party ends up on her personal mailbox with ExchangeUM -> not very pro either.

Has anyone got any solutions/workarounds for this?

Regards

Monday, November 26, 2007 1:01 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

OCS currently will not do the things that you are looking for. What I would suggest is sending the incoming calls to an Exchange UM autoattendant. This is how most companies handle this situation - through either VoiceMail autoattendants or through an IVR. For OCS, you can use Exchange UM or MS Speech Server. This will probably resolve your issue for the "welcome message".

As for ringing a different numbers when the front desk is not answering, you can do that by configuring the call forwarding settings on the client.

Regards,

Matt

Monday, November 26, 2007 8:59 PM