Access a backup when the client is offline? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to WHS, so this might be a dumb question:

If a client is connected to Vail I can browse the backup and access single files, etc.  However, if the client is a laptop and on an 18 hour flight to East Jabib, I belive that I can't browse the local backup and access a needed file, correct?  I can see that there are good reasons why you might not want to allow this, but wouldn't it be handy to be able to configure the system to permit it?

If not, what's everyone's solution to allow access to files on clients that may be offline, without duplicating lots of storage? 

Thanks!

John

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:40 PM

Answers

• So I'm set up as follows:

Successful backups on Clients A, B, and C.

Client A is offline, say on the flight to Zimbabwe.  Actually, just shut down in my briefcase.

Client B is online.  Start dashboard on Client B.  I'm trying to get at a file on Client A by browsing the backup of Client A on Vail.

Going to "Computers and Backups" on the dashboard, and selecting "Client A", the only option I can see to get to the backup is "Restore Files and Folders for The Computer."  (Possibly this is where I'm going wrong, but I don't see any other option to access the backup.)

Selecting that option opens a window with the message "Opening a list of available backups"

The window eventually times out with the message "Cannot initiat the restore process.  Make sure that all services are running on the computer to which you want to restore files or folders and then try again."

Now, if I start Client A and connect it to the server and do the same thing (using Client B, selecting "Restore Files and Folders" of Client A) , I can see and browse the entire backup  from Client B with no problems.   

So my question is how to I access the backup files and folders when Client A is offline?

John

That's not normal behavior.  You should file a bug report for that on Connect.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:36 AM

All replies

• You can access a backup (and the data within) from any client computer as long as you're logged in as an administrator, and as long as the client computer is able to contact the server (which means only on the local network). If you're on a plane on your way to Zimbabwe, backups for your laptop are inaccessible from your laptop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 24, 2010 7:03 PM
  • You can access a backup (and the data within) from any client computer as long as you're logged in as an administrator, and as long as the client computer is able to contact the server (which means only on the local network). If you're on a plane on your way to Zimbabwe, backups for your laptop are inaccessible from your laptop.

Thanks, Ken-  I should have worded my question better:  The scenario was that the client laptop was on a plane, but I'm back home and need to access a file on that laptop that someone else has on the plane.  So that client can't connect to the server, but I can from a different client, for example.  Now since the travelling client can't connect to the server, I can't browse that client's backup, correct?

John

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:20 PM
  • I said "You can access a backup (and the data within) from any client computer ..."

What's not clear about that?

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:26 PM
  • I said "You can access a backup (and the data within) from any client computer ..."

What's not clear about that?

Hi Ken,

Thanks again-  What wasn't clear is that I knew I could access a backup from any client computer as long as the client on which I wanted to access the backup was actually attached to the network.  What I don't seem to be able to do is access a backup from any client computer when the computer I need files from is offline.   Probably I'm doing something wrong, I'll play around some more and see if I can get it to work.

John

Friday, September 24, 2010 7:31 PM
  • Hi John,
    you should be able to access any backup of a client, even if the client is offline or dead - as long as you did not remove the client in the console. This is one of the main points of a backup :-)
    There is also a chance, that the WHS backup database is corrupted, so please describe more in detail how you are trying to access that backup and what error you get.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Thanks a lot, Olaf.  I was wondering if there was some configuration error on my part since I can understand possibly not wanting all clients to be able to access all other clients' backups.  When I get home tonight I will play with it again and note the exact results.  I can access the backup from any client without any problems if the client in question is online, it's only the case when the client is offline that I can't seem to access the backup.

John

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:48 PM

Client A is offline, say on the flight to Zimbabwe.  Actually, just shut down in my briefcase.

Client B is online.  Start dashboard on Client B.  I'm trying to get at a file on Client A by browsing the backup of Client A on Vail.

Going to "Computers and Backups" on the dashboard, and selecting "Client A", the only option I can see to get to the backup is "Restore Files and Folders for The Computer."  (Possibly this is where I'm going wrong, but I don't see any other option to access the backup.)

Selecting that option opens a window with the message "Opening a list of available backups"

The window eventually times out with the message "Cannot initiat the restore process.  Make sure that all services are running on the computer to which you want to restore files or folders and then try again."

Now, if I start Client A and connect it to the server and do the same thing (using Client B, selecting "Restore Files and Folders" of Client A) , I can see and browse the entire backup  from Client B with no problems.   

So my question is how to I access the backup files and folders when Client A is offline?

John

Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:28 AM

John

That's not normal behavior.  You should file a bug report for that on Connect.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Eventually the backup database is corrupted. This can happen quickly, since it is a large chunk of files with no redundancy, so a random crash, a damaged sector or similar stuff can damage a part of the backup database.

But in this case neither client a or b should be able to open anything. Do the clients have differences like a different security suite, a different network connection, Operating system etc?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, September 25, 2010 7:42 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Client A is an XP SP3 machine, while Client B is a Win 7 ultimate machine.  So I tried opening the backup of Client C (Win 7 ultimate) from Client B when C was offline and got the exact same result.  Seems I can't open a backup for any machine that is offline with my installation. 

John

Saturday, September 25, 2010 11:13 PM
  • An update on this:  Eventually, I became unable to browse any backup, client online or not.  I figured that the backup had become corrupted, so I tried repairing it.  The repair tool said that the backup was fine, so I re-installed the connector on one of my machines.  After re-installing the connector I was able to browse ALL backups, client online or not.

Now, I had tried reinstalling the connector before without success.  Why it worked this time I don't know.  I also had to reinstall the connector on my 3 other clients to get them to be able to access the backups.

So the whole network seems to be working correctly now, and I don't know why connector seems to have had issues the previous times I installed it.  I updated my bug report on Connect with this latest information as well.

John

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 6:28 PM