Can't Restore to a new Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of replacing an old 5400 RPM 250GB Hard drive that was 1/4 full (so there is only 60GB of data on it) with a 120GB SSD. When I get to the selection screen with Source and Destination volume it won't allow me to choose the new hard drive. Why does WHS think there is 250GB on the backup when it should only be 60? Why can I not restore in this scenario? Any one have any ideas on how I could work around this?
    Friday, April 23, 2010 9:56 PM

Answers

• Alex:

Unfortunately that's the way that the restore process was designed. Pretty dumb IMHO.

A workaround is to resize the 250 GB partition to something less than 120 GB and then create another WHS backup of the partition. You should then be able to restore it.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:08 AM

All replies

• Alex:

Unfortunately that's the way that the restore process was designed. Pretty dumb IMHO.

A workaround is to resize the 250 GB partition to something less than 120 GB and then create another WHS backup of the partition. You should then be able to restore it.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:08 AM
  • Windows Home Server requires that it be able to restore to a disk large enough to hold the last cluster of data from the source disk. Because of the way the NTFS file system works, even a brand new computer with nothing except the OS installed will have that "last cluster of data" slightly more than halfway through the free space on the disk.

Your options are A) to restore to a disk of the same size or larger, or B) to resize the partition being backed up, reconfigure backups, back up the partition again, and restore it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 3:55 AM
  • It's designed to make sure your restore drive partition is the same size or larger than the partition you are restoring from.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:00 AM
  • Besides the two options already mentioned there is also a 3rd, but more complicated - you could use it, if you don't have the possibility to resize and backup again your old volume.
    Described in the FAQ How to archive a Client PC Backup from Windows Home Server Backup.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:07 AM
  • I went with Mark's answer, and man let me tell you what a pain to shrink a volume. I cannot beleive the hoops you have to jump through. But, thanks.
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 4:29 PM