Windows Home Server does not recognize drives in an enclosure connected to the server via eSATA port. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All:

I have WHS (Power Pack 3) on Dell PowerEdge T110.  The PowerEdge has an eSATA port, which according to Dell supports the port-multiplication (PM). Since my internal storage capacity has reached its max, I bought an 4-bay enclosure from Sans Digital (no RAID, simple PM plus JBOD). I placed four (4) Western Digital 2TB drives into the enclosure and connected it to the eSATA port by an appropriate SATA cable.

PROBLEM:  The Device Manager recognizes only the hard drive inserted to the first slot of the enclosure.  Three other drives cannot be recognized by the Device Manager. 

Can someone help me resolve this issue? 

Thank you so much!

LONESTAR WOLF

Sunday, July 20, 2014 1:53 AM

Answers

• These appliances have their own firmware - and this may or may not harmonize with WHS or with the Bios of the SATA controller used to access the appliance.

If you attach the appliance to your normal PC (should this support such devices) - is the behavior the same?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, July 21, 2014 12:55 PM

All replies

• Check your BIOS. From Main --> Boot then check the lists of your hard drives. Or something related to boot priority. If it's only listed One (1) of your hard drives, try reconnecting your hard drives. Check if your cables are connected properly.

Hope this Helps!

Ammar Rasyad

Sunday, July 20, 2014 8:52 AM
  • These appliances have their own firmware - and this may or may not harmonize with WHS or with the Bios of the SATA controller used to access the appliance.

If you attach the appliance to your normal PC (should this support such devices) - is the behavior the same?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, July 21, 2014 12:55 PM