Port Forwarding Error - Remote Access is Unstable RRS feed

• Question

• Hello-

I can access my WHS remotely.  I can browse all the folders and download files.  The problem is that it hangs frequently.  It seems to be during file downloads or just as a download is initiated.  After the download hangs, the server cannot be seen (no login screen, browser error).  If I check the URL repeatedly, within an hour or two it is available again.  I can usually get a 5-20 mp3s or small mpgs downloaded before it hangs again.

I'm getting recurring port forwarding errors on the WHS console.  After a while, the error goes away without any action on my part.

Does this sound like a familiar issue?  Could it be a separate issue with my network?  I've done a little troubleshooting, but I don't want to post the specifics in fear that I may convolude the problem description.  If this problem is not common, let me know and I'll post some more of the symptoms and pull some error logs.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me!

Andy
    • Edited by Noobcakes Wednesday, May 13, 2009 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hello-

I attached a monitor to my server to look at the storage.  The C partition has about 4.5 GB of unused space and the other drives have much more.  Storage does not appear to be a problem.

When I look at the server using http://server, there is never a problem.  It always works great.  This makes me think the problem is with my router/modem/ISP.

For a few months I've had an issue where my internet connection would cease intermittently (once every day or two).  I reset my cable modem and the internet connection is good again.  Suspecting this issue may be related to my unstable remote access problem,  I replaced the cable modem.  I have not had the remote access hang since I replaced the modem.  Either my modem was the problem or I accidentally fixed the problem by other means.

Thanks again for your help,

Andy

• Marked as answer by Noobcakes Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:17 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:15 PM

All replies

• How large is the total file size you are selecting for download?
    If they are too large, could it be that compressing the files does not work well - especially with low disk space and/or a low amount of memory.
    I'm not sure, where the compressing is done, but if on the C: drive of the server, and the C: drive is almost full, this could lead to experiences like yours.
    So check, how much space is free on the servers C: drive. I have seen reports in the past, that the disk was sometimes almost full.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 7:08 AM
  • Thanks for your respoinse.  I appreciate these forums.

I installed the disk management add-in.  It shows I'm only using 44% of the OS drive and 29% of my external drive.

The files are 3-200 megabytes.  I only select one file at a time for download.

I get the port forwarding error periodically whether I'm downloading files or not.  It could be that my downloading is OK, but the port forwarding problem interrupts them.

Also noteworthy is that some of the videos I'm downloading may be broken/corrupt.  About 20% of the videos my helmet camcorder make won't play back in Windows Media Player (VLC usually runs them OK).
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 5:04 PM
  • What happens, if you try to access your server within your LAN via http://server and download selected files locally?
    And I mean the system drives (C:) free capacity - this is not shown in WHS Disk management. To see that, logon locally and check drive C: in Windows Explorer.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:24 PM
  • Hello-

I attached a monitor to my server to look at the storage.  The C partition has about 4.5 GB of unused space and the other drives have much more.  Storage does not appear to be a problem.

When I look at the server using http://server, there is never a problem.  It always works great.  This makes me think the problem is with my router/modem/ISP.

For a few months I've had an issue where my internet connection would cease intermittently (once every day or two).  I reset my cable modem and the internet connection is good again.  Suspecting this issue may be related to my unstable remote access problem,  I replaced the cable modem.  I have not had the remote access hang since I replaced the modem.  Either my modem was the problem or I accidentally fixed the problem by other means.

Thanks again for your help,

Andy

• Marked as answer by Noobcakes Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:17 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Hi,
    4.5 GByte free space is not that much any more.
    There should be around 10 GB (or more) free in usual configuration.
    So you may wish to check, if some folders of files in them (i.e. C:\Windows\temp or the %qlogs% location) accquire too much space.
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 8:27 PM