How long should it take to prepare and complete Exam 70-270 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have experience dealing with XP Pro from previous Jobs. My newest employer wants me to become MS Certified and has asked me how long it would take me to get my first certification. I reviewed the skills that will be covered, and i have a good/well understanding of most of the topics, only a few i have questions on, and even then i'm pretty sure i know how to do it.

How long would a fairly experienced IT Helpdesk person like myself take to complete training and the exam?
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

70-270 Exam is fairly easy compared to other Microsoft Exams. How are you preparing for this exam? Are you taking a classroom training or Self-Placed learning Kit? If you take a classroom training you can be ready to take this exam, as quick as 1-2 Weeks. If you go with Self-Paced training kit, you shouldn’t spend more than 3-4 weeks for this exam. Since this is your first exam, I would strongly recommend you purchase MeasureUp sample exam. If you purchase the Self-Paced Learning kit, set of sample exam will be included but those may not be current, so I would recommend purchase the latest set from the website. You are already experienced, so I believe you will do very well in the exam. Good Luck.

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan - My Blog: http://rubelkhan.wordpress.com
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Hi,

What I would recommend is take MCDST exams first which is core 70-721 and 70-722. This Certificate would provide you basic and medium level of knowleadge required to support users above Helpdesk.

Preparation to this exam shouldn't take longer than 2-4 weeks including study and practise time.

If you don't have previous experince with role such 2nd Line or Desktop Support above exam would suitable for you.

After MCDST you can start to think to take 70-270 MCP.

But the way, most exams above 70-721 /22 or 70-620 are complex and it takes time to catch all knowleadge required to pass them.

Good Luck,
    Bart
    Bart Kurowski Professional Service Desk - MCP Getronics UK
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Whoops - I think a little number dyslexia happened here. 
    The 2 exams necessary to recieve your MCDST are Numbers 070-271 and 070-272 (not 70-721 or 70-722).
    When you pass one of these exams, you do recieve  MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) certification - I got mine 6/30/09.
    After passing both, you earn the MCDST. 
    With the experience you have, you'll be able to pass, I'm sure.
    I used self-test software and bought a PDF study guide for both tests for $42.50.  I used the Microsoft second-shot to buy their e-learning package for 070-271, and just got my voucher yesterday from WorkSource for the e-learning package for 070-271 for free.  Having the 2 sources was very helpful to me, but I've got less experience than you.
    Have a good one...
    :) Theresa 
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

70-270 Exam is fairly easy compared to other Microsoft Exams. How are you preparing for this exam? Are you taking a classroom training or Self-Placed learning Kit? If you take a classroom training you can be ready to take this exam, as quick as 1-2 Weeks. If you go with Self-Paced training kit, you shouldn’t spend more than 3-4 weeks for this exam. Since this is your first exam, I would strongly recommend you purchase MeasureUp sample exam. If you purchase the Self-Paced Learning kit, set of sample exam will be included but those may not be current, so I would recommend purchase the latest set from the website. You are already experienced, so I believe you will do very well in the exam. Good Luck.

Hope this is helpful.

Rubel Khan - My Blog: http://rubelkhan.wordpress.com
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:05 PM
  • I found out about the second shot voucher 2 weeks before it ended.  I studied, and took both tests (first one and second shot) for 070-271 in that 2 weeks, and have very limited experience as help desk.  I think 070-270 is pretty similar, if you have Help Desk experience, I think you could do it in 2 weeks, no problem.
    Good luck! 
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:35 PM
  • Hi,

What I would recommend is take MCDST exams first which is core 70-721 and 70-722. This Certificate would provide you basic and medium level of knowleadge required to support users above Helpdesk.

Preparation to this exam shouldn't take longer than 2-4 weeks including study and practise time.

If you don't have previous experince with role such 2nd Line or Desktop Support above exam would suitable for you.

After MCDST you can start to think to take 70-270 MCP.

But the way, most exams above 70-721 /22 or 70-620 are complex and it takes time to catch all knowleadge required to pass them.

Good Luck,
    Bart
    Bart Kurowski Professional Service Desk - MCP Getronics UK
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Whoops - I think a little number dyslexia happened here. 
    The 2 exams necessary to recieve your MCDST are Numbers 070-271 and 070-272 (not 70-721 or 70-722).
    When you pass one of these exams, you do recieve  MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) certification - I got mine 6/30/09.
    After passing both, you earn the MCDST. 
    With the experience you have, you'll be able to pass, I'm sure.
    I used self-test software and bought a PDF study guide for both tests for $42.50.  I used the Microsoft second-shot to buy their e-learning package for 070-271, and just got my voucher yesterday from WorkSource for the e-learning package for 070-271 for free.  Having the 2 sources was very helpful to me, but I've got less experience than you.
    Have a good one...
    :) Theresa 
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:52 PM