Drive D Full RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to run Server backup becuase drive D is full. I succesfully ran chkdsk on Drive D.

Not sure what to try next. Any ideas?

Monday, April 9, 2012 6:28 AM

All replies

• What software (OS) are you using, and what's the hardware configuration of your machine?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, April 9, 2012 12:07 PM
  • It occurred to me last night in bed that I was way too brief iwith my question- sorry!

WHS 2011 - and using StableBit to pool drives. There are 5 drives in pool- and one not in pool. Drive C is not pooled and is WHS system- drive D is partition of remainder of the first drive- it is pooled. All other drives, except the external system backup are pooled. Everything in the past has worked fine- but had to do a clean install- now everything is working - except I can not do a system backup with Drive D included (system backup works fine when just Drice C is included). The issue seems to be that Drive D shows zero free space- and, if balancing is occurring, Drive D is definitely not being rebalanced.

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:07 PM
  • If this is a StableBit issue (and it sounds like you think it is) your best bet is to contact the author for support.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Thanks for ypour reply, Ken.

Actually I am not sure whose it is! My recollection is that WHS2011 re-balances the drives automatically. Since Drive D is full, this is not being done- nor have I ever seen the "re-balancing" bar at bottom of screen. Have you ever seen an instance when a drive is not re-balanced and therefore fills up? Can I force a re-balance?

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:51 PM
  • As Ken says, it may be a StableBit issue, but how big is the Pool? If it's over 2TB, you will not be able to back it up anyway.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, April 9, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Drive C is not pooled.

Drive D has nothing but backups- the shared folders have been moved and are empty of this drive.

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Thanks for ypour reply, Ken.

Actually I am not sure whose it is! My recollection is that WHS2011 re-balances the drives automatically. Since Drive D is full, this is not being done- nor have I ever seen the "re-balancing" bar at bottom of screen. Have you ever seen an instance when a drive is not re-balanced and therefore fills up? Can I force a re-balance?

Windows Home Server doesn't rebalance data on your drives at all. If data is moved around from drive to drive, either StableBit is doing it, or you're doing it by telling Windows Home Server to move a share to a different drive.

Edit: looking at the image you posted below, StableBit may not split data between drives at a level below the share, or at least the folder. All of the components of the backup database (which can grow to be quite large) are stored in a single folder on your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, April 9, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Thanks Ken and Phil-

I have submitted a help ticket to StableBits. I am not sure how StableBit handles the ever expanding Client Backup folder. Before I had to re-install WHS2011 (separate issue), I was quite pleased with StableBit. We'll figure this out and I'll post answer back here.

Monday, April 9, 2012 6:02 PM