none
What is the homeserver.com username? RRS feed

• Question

• Feel a bit duh.  Installed and got WHS up and running without a hitch.  Got to work and went to homeserver.com and it wants a username...which I do not recall being part of the setup process.  I've tried the intuitive, Windows Live ID, and everything else I can think of that I use and it's no good.  Further there is no redirect to give me a hint as to what this might consist of.

Search of BBS's including this one seems to suggest I am the only person this ever happened to...except one, who reposted and said he'd figured it out without saying how!

There appeared to be a suggestion that I should have set up yet another access during setup. 

Help appreciated...

Dave

Monday, January 17, 2011 1:16 PM

Answers

• You create your user/password in the homeserver console.
    • Marked as answer by DMallette Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:39 PM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:13 PM

All replies

• It should be Administrator by default.  That is the default username for the professional and server lines of Microsoft's various OSs.

Monday, January 17, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Hiesman:

I responded to the email with pix, but it bounced apparently as a "DNR."   Hard to properly troubleshoot without th ability to post screen shots.  Picture is worth a thousand words.

Anyway, homeserver site responds to an attempt to log on as "Administrator" specifically that it is not allowed for security purposes.  Understandable, but that doesn't help the user in any way to determine just what IS expected.  I've eliminated Windows Live login and any others I would normally use.

Dave

Mallette
    Monday, January 17, 2011 6:18 PM
  • You create your user/password in the homeserver console.
    • Marked as answer by DMallette Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:39 PM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Thanks.  That was my original assumption as well.  However, this was never clearly stated in the setup info.  There was a nice page of "Why setup user accounts?" with lots of good reasons...none of them said "Because it won't work if you don't..."

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Mallette
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:40 PM