Install WHS PP1 without Remote Access? RRS feed

• Question

• Can the WHS PP1 download be installed without Remote Access?  I have had no luck trying to config my router (Linksys WRT54GL) for remote access by HP MediaSmart but no luck so far. 

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:42 PM

Answers

•  G5698 wrote:
    Can the WHS PP1 download be installed without Remote Access?  I have had no luck trying to config my router (Linksys WRT54GL) for remote access by HP MediaSmart but no luck so far.

You can just logon to your server desktop inside your LAN using Remote Desktop Connection and install it that way.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:41 PM

All replies

•  G5698 wrote:
    Can the WHS PP1 download be installed without Remote Access?  I have had no luck trying to config my router (Linksys WRT54GL) for remote access by HP MediaSmart but no luck so far.

You can just logon to your server desktop inside your LAN using Remote Desktop Connection and install it that way.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Thanks, I finally achieved Remote Access to the WHS Administrator desktop. Following the MS install instructions, I double clicked the PP1 install file and got "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."  like others have posted.

Also copy/pasted the PP1 install file to the WHS admin decktop, as suggested in another post, with the same result.  Suggestions?  This is getting really frustrating.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:37 PM
  • Can you right click the file on the server desktop, then select Properties from the menu and see if it has an "Unblock" button? If it does, click it, then try running it again.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 2:55 AM
  • Thanks!! Success at last, I think.  My computer froze during the connector update but all seems to be working ok now.  I've waited several months to add a second hard drive and use the server as I originally wanted.  

Microsoft's install instructions are seriously lacking.

Friday, July 25, 2008 5:20 PM
  • The download center option is for enthusiasts that want to get Power Pack 1 early - it will be available to all Windows Home Server Customers via Windows Update in the coming weeks.

Power Pack 1 Release Documentation is here --> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f219dd13-3d9a-4506-8be2-fbcc4e195415&displaylang=en#filelist

What do you feel is missing from the 12 page Release Documentation?

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:04 PM
  • Given your expertise on this subject your question surprises me, but here goes.

The installation instructions I was referring to as deficient are the step-by-step instructions contained on the web page where I download the PP1 installation program--> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1A6AEF46-DB57-401F-814F-6EFA26E7A1E8&displaylang=en  This is the link from the KB944289 article.

The release documentation you refer to gives no such detailed instructions. Moreover, the problem I ran in to, along with many others judging from the posts I've seen, is the unblock step.  This obviously crucial step is not mentioned in either of these sources.

I hope this clarifies the source of my frustration. Again, I very much appreciate the help I received from the forum.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:49 PM
  • In Microsoft's defense, the "unblock" step is because, when you download a file using Internet Explorer, it creates an alternate data stream called a "zone identifier" to let the operating system know that the file was downloaded from the Internet. HP has chosen to implement additional security precautions on the MediaSmart Server, probably to help prevent well-intentioned but uninformed modifications that may lead to unneccessary support calls. Those additional security precautions result in the need to "unblock" the program before running it from the server's desktop, and are outside of Microsoft's control.

Microsoft's intent is that most users will install Power Pack 1 through automatic updates. Users that choose to install early are presumed to either be system builders (i.e. low volume "white box" vendors) or highly skilled in computer configuration and management, and if someone who is neither chooses to install via download, there's always the forums to help them out.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:03 AM