Backing up WHS hard drives onto a separate external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to be able to back up my WHS server hard drives to an external hard drive as a precaution to drive failure. I was looking to find a software program to do it since WHS does not seem to have the capability itself (at least not from what I have read so far). That's the first question. The second question is, since I have the redundant hard drive backup software in place on WHS will backing up my hard drives allow me to restore a drive that goes bad without corrupting the other drives that are in the system. I guess that I don't know enough about how the spreading of data over multiple drives work. I am concerned that I may be wasting my time because unless I restore both drives (which I guess I could do) I may be restoring only part of the back up and when I go to find my data it will be unreadable because it was spread out over two or more drives.

Any enlightenment on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    RFSavich1
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:22 AM

Answers

• I would like to be able to back up my WHS server hard drives to an external hard drive as a precaution to drive failure. I was looking to find a software program to do it since WHS does not seem to have the capability itself (at least not from what I have read so far).

Yes, it does.  The server backup function allows you to back up any or all shares to an external drive.

That's the first question. The second question is, since I have the redundant hard drive backup software in place on WHS will backing up my hard drives allow me to restore a drive that goes bad without corrupting the other drives that are in the system.

Apps such as NTBackup don't work with WHS because of the use of tombstones (not to mention logging into the server desktop is unsupported).  You should use the server backup capabilities of WHS in order to take the data stored in your shares off-site.

I guess that I don't know enough about how the spreading of data over multiple drives work. I am concerned that I may be wasting my time because unless I restore both drives (which I guess I could do) I may be restoring only part of the back up and when I go to find my data it will be unreadable because it was spread out over two or more drives.

Thanks,
    RFSavich1

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by RFSavich1 Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:10 PM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:42 AM
  • See my answer to a similar question in this thread. The is an add-in to automate the backup database backup procedure:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/16dfc9d8-b7b4-4e85-a9bc-c4b00cd9e354

Mitch
    • Proposed as answer by Makman Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:11 AM

All replies

• I would like to be able to back up my WHS server hard drives to an external hard drive as a precaution to drive failure. I was looking to find a software program to do it since WHS does not seem to have the capability itself (at least not from what I have read so far).

Yes, it does.  The server backup function allows you to back up any or all shares to an external drive.

That's the first question. The second question is, since I have the redundant hard drive backup software in place on WHS will backing up my hard drives allow me to restore a drive that goes bad without corrupting the other drives that are in the system.

Apps such as NTBackup don't work with WHS because of the use of tombstones (not to mention logging into the server desktop is unsupported).  You should use the server backup capabilities of WHS in order to take the data stored in your shares off-site.

I guess that I don't know enough about how the spreading of data over multiple drives work. I am concerned that I may be wasting my time because unless I restore both drives (which I guess I could do) I may be restoring only part of the back up and when I go to find my data it will be unreadable because it was spread out over two or more drives.

Thanks,
    RFSavich1

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:42 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:42 AM
  • See my answer to a similar question in this thread. The is an add-in to automate the backup database backup procedure:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/16dfc9d8-b7b4-4e85-a9bc-c4b00cd9e354

Mitch
    • Proposed as answer by Makman Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:11 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:11 AM
  • I recommend this blog that is about hard drive data recovery
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 8:33 PM