Backup Configuration RRS feed

• Question

•  

After installing onecare computer crashed/lost everything.  Reinstalled onecare.  Now have 2 system #'s/can't configure/backup 2nd one.  Can I delete 2nd system.  Cont. yellow/fair status.

Thank you for the help

Deborah C.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:06 PM

Answers

• If you mean that you see a second listing for OneCare on a PC that is configured to be a Hub computer in a OneCare Circle, yes, you can remove the second listing - the older one, which will show the last communication date as before the crash.

If OneCare shows in Yellow status, open OneCare to see what actions need to be taken. If that action is to configure backup for the other PC, removing it from your Circle or not having the current PC be a hub, should put you back to Green.

-steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:01 PM

All replies

• Which operating system are you using and what happens when you try to configure backup? Where are the two system numbers listed? What are you using as a backup device? 

Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:28 PM
  • If you mean that you see a second listing for OneCare on a PC that is configured to be a Hub computer in a OneCare Circle, yes, you can remove the second listing - the older one, which will show the last communication date as before the crash.

If OneCare shows in Yellow status, open OneCare to see what actions need to be taken. If that action is to configure backup for the other PC, removing it from your Circle or not having the current PC be a hub, should put you back to Green.

-steve

Monday, June 30, 2008 3:01 PM
  • Mr. Boots:

I am sorry to bother you again but I have another problem.  First I must tell you that I am technologically challenged/ I own a copy of the book Internet For Dummies.

My computer has crashed twice since the first time I went online for you help.  I managed to get the onecare that crashed off but I don't know how I did it.  I was clicking various things and suddenly it was gone.  You were right-the yellow circle turned green again.  My computer has crashed 2 more times since then and would you please tell me how to get the two crashed onecare's off.  My computer is a Gateway laptop/I have windows xp and it's either the home or student version.  The current listing is 7742BD09EA  As far as the  two crashed listings one began w/431 and the other started with your2.  I would appreciate any help/advice you can give me and I thank you very much for your time.

Respectfully

Deborah C.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 1:10 AM
  • To remove the extra listings, open OneCare. Click on "Your OneCare Circle." A list of the computers in your Circle will appear if the PC you are using is a Hub. If it is not a hub, click Make this PC a hub." In the list of computers, since you know which are the "ghost" entries, simply click the link "remove this PC" that appears below each "ghost entry."

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Mr. Boots.  Thank you very much.  I followed your instructions and I'm back in the green again.  Again Mr. Boots thank you for you help and your patience.

Gratefully

Deborah C.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:14 AM
  • You are very welcome. :-)

And, you can call me "steve" - we're quite informal in here.

-steve

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:52 PM
  • Steve  

It's me again.  I am in need of your advice for one more problem.  Before I installed the current onecare listing I made sure to uninstall the Norton Security that came with the computer when I purchased it.   I had one more norton program to uninstall and it was synmatec live reg but when I clicked remove I was told "can't remove at this time because the following componet requires norton antivirus".  Now everytime I turn on my computer a synmatec box comes up that says "necessary component to this function missing or damaged".  There's a link to go to for support info but it doesn't say anything helpful.  Did I uninstall the norton security in the wrong order?  If you can help me with this I will try to leave you alone for awhile-hopefully.  Thank you for your time, your help and your patience.

Respectfully

Deborah C.        

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 11:30 PM
  • Try the Norton/Symantec removal tool here:

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Note that it might break OneCare, too. If it does, you'll need to uninstall and reinstall OneCare.

-steve

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Steve:  Please forgive me for not replying sooner I have been out of town.  Thank you very much for helping me with norton security.  Your expert advice worked perfectly as usual.  Onecare was unharmed.  I would like to ask a question; not surprised are you?  Could I ask you for advice on a problem if it does not have anything to do with onecare?  If yes please let me know; if not I do thank you for all the assistance you've given me.

Respectfully,

Deborah C.

Monday, August 4, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Sure. Email me at sboots@mvps.org and put "OneCare Off Topic" in the subject line to get past my spam filtering.

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:39 PM