How to get a command prompt using Dashboard? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to set up my router, and from technet I get these instructions----

1. Log on to your Windows Home Server.
    2. Open a command prompt - click Start , point to All Programs , point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt..

Okay, where is the "Start" button, and how do I get a command prompt using Dashboard? FYI, I'm using a Netopia router, and it seems like I'll have to set it up manually.  Thanks.  I'm new to servers, and for the most part it's going fine.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/windows-home-server-router-setup.aspx

Saturday, November 6, 2010 6:53 PM

Answers

• The Dashboard doesn't have a way to access a command prompt; you need to log in to the server desktop for that. Are you sure you're posting in the correct section? This is the Vail beta section of the forum...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 9:24 PM

All replies

• The Dashboard doesn't have a way to access a command prompt; you need to log in to the server desktop for that. Are you sure you're posting in the correct section? This is the Vail beta section of the forum...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Thanks, Ken.  Yes, I am using Vail.  I got to the link above using Vail's "help," but it looks as though I found my way to a WHS release version help area.  Like I said, I am new to this server stuff :).  But you gave me the info I needed.  I thought I could access pretty much any function of the server through dashboard, but it appears Dashboard is an overlay to the basic server functions for remote use.  I'm good, now, and know what to do.

Thanks.

Sunday, November 7, 2010 2:59 AM