none
MCSE: 2003 Track: Still Valid? RRS feed

• Question

• Now that Microsoft have begun promoting their new Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert programme, all mention of the Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer track for Server 2003 technology seems to have disappeared off the Microsoft Learning website.

I am very close to completing my MCSE: 2003 degree. My original plan was to obtain the MCSE: 2003 degree and upgrade it to the MCITP degree so that I could be certified on both old and new technologies.

Is it suddenly too late for me to complete the MCSE: 2003 track?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Information on MCSE 2003 is still on Microsoft's website http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse-previous.aspx

This information can also be reached via the FAQ at  http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab2

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:15 AM
  •  The required exams to achieve the MCSE:2003 are still available on the prometric site and have no retirement date yet. If you only need 1 or 2 more to complete the certification, I would carry on and get it finished.

Jon Budzynski     MCITP, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS, MCP, SBSC

Technical Manager
    Mark One Consultants Ltd.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:15 AM
  • Hi, Searching an answer to the same question I went through the Microsoft website and came across the following answer -

"The Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer on Windows 2000 Server was discontinued on December 31, 2011. The Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer on Windows Server 2003 will be discontinued on July 31, 2013. You must pass all the exams prior to July 31, 2013 to achieve the certification".

However, I would suggest to directly go for MCITP on server 2008 which has high demand in market now-a-days and then move on to MCSA: Windows Server 2012. You already have hands-on on Server 2003, so why not to move on with the latest technology and trends in the market :-)

Your comments would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Vibhat Srivastava

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:30 PM
  • The original poster said that he is "very close" to completing his MCSE 2003. I therefore assume that he has 1 or 2 more exams to complete. If this is the case, it makes no sense to abandon his training investment and start something new.

It would be smart to complete his MCSE 2003 before July 31 next year, and then more on to his next objective. He would then be a MCSE. Despite all the changes taking place with Microsoft certifications, the MCSE is still a premium certification.

Thursday, August 9, 2012 1:41 PM