Schedule the Sync based on changes in databases RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently I am pressing "Sync_Start" Button manually to start the synchronization between two remote databases.

Is there any option to watch changes in two databases and if watcher identifies any change then start the syncorchestrator.

Provider I am using: SQLSYNCPROVIDER

Thank you in advance.

ess

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:47 PM

All replies

• nothing inside the framework itself. you have to invoke the sync explicitly.

you can try scheduling the sync via timer-based sync, sql agent job, windows scheduler, etc... instead.

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:34 PM
  • I need to achieve transactional synchronization btw two DB's.

Do you think, only option I have is put the sync 2.1 code in window service and start the service?

bcz with timer-based sync, sql agent job, windows scheduler we cant achieve transactional synchronization.

ess

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:01 PM
  • sync fx is not for transactional replication/synchronization...in fact there is no guarantee what you applied on one replica gets applied on the other, a conflict or an error may occur...

you should rethink your solution, perhaps SQL Replication, Distributed Transactions or something else fits better...

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:31 AM
  • my two databases don't know each other and are not in one network.

so I have to rely on syncing the database over internet. So, I choose sync framework to sync those two databases. Am I going in right direction?

ess

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:33 AM
  • there are many ways to sync it, but if you're relying on database change to trigger a sync to another system, sync fx doesn't have that. as I have mentioned, it has to be explicitly invoked. you can use a service, timer, job, whatever way to regularly fire off sync but that wont guarantee transactional consistency.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:55 AM
  • sure. thank u for the inputs and valuable information.

Based on ur inputs I will re-think abt using sync fx and get back if need any additional info.

Thx a ton!!!

ess

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:39 AM
  • have you considered the Merge Replication at SQL Server ? seems like a perfect fit for your case.

the best part is that it's SQL Server so it can be scheduled.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:17 AM