none
Re-Installing Windows 10 after virus or malware

Question

• Had Win 8.1 Pro downloaded on first day it was available.  Got into 'Insider Preview' program and was using 'Eval Copies' of Windows 10 until the big day, then system (Core i5, x64, Toshiba Laptop plenty of HDD space) seamlessly transitioned to a 'stable' copy of Windows 10 Pro v.10240.  After virus/malware attack, I wiped disk, re-installed windows 8, then used most recent Insider Preview 10162 assuming that it would also 'seamlessly' upgrade to 10240 Pro.  That's not happening and I don't find anyone with a similar set of circumstances.  I went to this page: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and downloaded "MediaCreationToolx64.exe" and ran that from USB drive to no success.  Ran it by clicking the *.exe in the download folder and it ran but left me with build 10162 (no change).  

Can someone please help me with the least complex method of re-installing Windows 10 Pro (I paid for 2 copies of windows 8 pro back when it was released so should be more than eligible for upgrade to Win 10 Pro but I can't break the "10240 barrier" and I understand that sometime in October (?) the 10162 and other preview platforms will expire. Hope my system info is adequate (10240 was running just fine, and doing daily virus/malware scans & daily updates,  until something got through) Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

Steve Shepard

Seattle, WA

Steve M Shepard

Tuesday, September 1, 2015 4:56 PM

Answers