Hard Disk Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Dan - I am in a similar situation.  I bought a retail copy of Win XP home years ago and installed it on my PC years ago.  That PC's hard disk has come to a screeching halt. 

Can I install that copy of Win XP on my new computer (I am planning to buy a Mac with VMware Fusion) simply by inserting the Win XP disk and entering the appropriate codes, or do I have to call Microsoft for them to "deauthorize" my CoA or product key?  If I have to "deauthorize" with Miscrosoft first, is there a web site or phone number to call?

Many thanks,
    Craig
    • Split by RickImAPC Friday, September 12, 2008 3:21 PM New Post
    Friday, September 12, 2008 1:59 PM

Answers

• Dels7080,

Assuming your license for XP is a full retail license, you are permitted to remove it from the exsiting computer and install it on another computer, which in your case will be the Mac.

Product Activation does not have a deauthorization procedure.  The PA process logic assumes any new activation supercedes and cancels the old or existing activation. When it gets installed on the Mac, just follow the prompts on the screen to activate normally.

In the unlikely event your automated online activation is refused, the Activation Wizard will show you the next steps to take.  You may (but probably won't) be required to do the telephonic automated "challenge and response" activation, or might end up having to speak with an activation representative.

Good Luck and post back if you need any more help!

PS---You know, at the price levels at which Macs sell, you can get a REALLY nice Windows Vista computer.  The trick to making Vista perform as well as or better than OS X is a dedicated video card with 512MB dedicated video ram or more.  Of course, if there's an app you need that Apple hasn't ported to Windows yet, like Final Cut, you app requirements limit you to just that one choice.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Edited by Dan at IT Associates Friday, September 12, 2008 3:03 PM typing errors
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Friday, September 12, 2008 3:22 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 3:01 PM

All replies

• Dels7080,

Assuming your license for XP is a full retail license, you are permitted to remove it from the exsiting computer and install it on another computer, which in your case will be the Mac.

Product Activation does not have a deauthorization procedure.  The PA process logic assumes any new activation supercedes and cancels the old or existing activation. When it gets installed on the Mac, just follow the prompts on the screen to activate normally.

In the unlikely event your automated online activation is refused, the Activation Wizard will show you the next steps to take.  You may (but probably won't) be required to do the telephonic automated "challenge and response" activation, or might end up having to speak with an activation representative.

Good Luck and post back if you need any more help!

PS---You know, at the price levels at which Macs sell, you can get a REALLY nice Windows Vista computer.  The trick to making Vista perform as well as or better than OS X is a dedicated video card with 512MB dedicated video ram or more.  Of course, if there's an app you need that Apple hasn't ported to Windows yet, like Final Cut, you app requirements limit you to just that one choice.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Edited by Dan at IT Associates Friday, September 12, 2008 3:03 PM typing errors
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Friday, September 12, 2008 3:22 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2008 3:01 PM
  • Fabulous.  Thanks.  I appreciate your Vista suggestion.  I have 2 Vista machines and a Macbook at home, and I prefer in the following order: Win XP, Leopard OS, Win 3.1, MS DOS, Vista.  (It took me a while to sip the cool aid, but there is nothing like making an appointment with free tech support and walking in to have your Mac issue resolved in person -- its the hardware/OS combination support that sways me.  However, after a few more Gates/Seinfeld commercials I might feel differently).
    Friday, September 12, 2008 9:18 PM