ethernet drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS and am unable to install the drivers for my ethernet controller Broadcom 5751, after reading the multitude of posts on this subject I have tried both Win XP and 2k3 drivers from both MSI and the Broadcom site any help please?? haven't got a clue what to do about this. I am running it on a MSI 975X platinum motherboard.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 12:16 PM

Answers

• Cheers

tried that and still no joy, have given up and gone to buy a NIC that's on the server catalogue approved list.

If that don't work I will not be a happy camper. The worst bit about this is that the NIC worked when I was running Server 2003 in virtual PC on the same machine, there is a real bug with this as evidenced by all the posts.

Anyway thanks for your help

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you try this driver ?

Also, installing the drivers like this:

Start - right click my computer - properties - hardware - device manager - right click on unkowing or network device - right click and chose update driver.

And chose : "Install from a list or spesific location (advanced), then direct the to the location of where you unrar/unzip the driver you download from the above link.

My best.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 12:45 PM
  • Thanks have tried that driver and still no joy. I have tried to install every driver that way and also by specifying the device to install and saying that I have the disk containing the driver but I get the same message every time "the specified location does not contain a driver. if you are installing a driver make sure that is compatable with Windows 32 bit systems" or words to that effect this is really a pain in the bit you sit on. Anybody got any more suggestions??

Sunday, August 19, 2007 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

I know how you feel when thing do not work, I went to thier FAQ page, nothing much there, but let try this:

1 - From the device manager, and remove the broadcom (right click/remove)
    2 - Reboot the server (you need keyboard/display) connecting to the server in this case.
    *if this not an option, then after removing the nic, on device manage, right click on your computer name (top of the list) and do "scan for new hardware).

3 - Instaaling the driver when the server prompt for new hardware found issue as thier faq recommendation:

How do I install the driver for Windows XP/Windows Server 2003?

1. When the Windows XP/Windows Server 2003 system first boots up after installing a new hardware device, the system automatically detects the new hardware and prompts you to install the driver software for that device.

2. Choose the Install the Software Automatically (recommended) option, click Next. The "Found New Hardware       Wizard" then searches for the appropriate driver and automatically installs the software.

3. If asked to specify the location of the Windows Server 2003 CD-ROM, click Browse and locate the path to the Gigabit Ethernet drivers that was previously specified.

4. When the software installation is complete, click Finish to close the wizard and complete the software       installation.

My best.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:36 AM
  • Cheers

tried that and still no joy, have given up and gone to buy a NIC that's on the server catalogue approved list.

If that don't work I will not be a happy camper. The worst bit about this is that the NIC worked when I was running Server 2003 in virtual PC on the same machine, there is a real bug with this as evidenced by all the posts.

Anyway thanks for your help

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:33 PM