WHS won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS has been working fine (without keyboard, monitor, or mouse connected) since installation around 1 month ago.  I've been managing WHS exclusively using Windows Home Server Console from a connected PC.   Then today, I noticed none of my PCs was able to connect.  I hooked up a monitor, mouse, and keyboard directly to the computer that's running WHS in attempt to see what's going on.  I expected to see the login prompt when I hooked up the monitor.  Instead, all I saw was the WHS background screen with the words Windows Home Server on the lower right bottom corner of the screen.  WHS seems to be stuck.  I cycled power to reboot.  Everything proceeded as expected, but in the end, still no login prompt - only the same background screen mentioned earlier.  I can't even ping the WHS machine.  It's hung somewhere.

I've move closed to 900G of data onto this server, and don't really want to loose this data.  Does anyone have a suggestion on what I should do next?
    Monday, July 6, 2009 2:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    it is never a good idea to move all data to a single server withoug having an external backup (as provided by the backup the server shares functionality in the console).
    Too much can happen to the server (overvoltage, which hits all disks and therefore also the duplicates), fire, theft ...
    So one or better multiple backups, eventually even stored outside of your home, would be recommended, if you wish to ensure the safety of your data.

Did you try already to start in safe mode (press F8 at a certain moment in the early boot process)?

If this does not help, you may have to perform a server reinstall. In this mode of installation data is preserved. If you get no server reinstall offered, read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:42 AM