error 8024002d for Microsoft Works8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to whom may help, I received important download from WLOC on kb955428 and can not download this, an error comes up code 8024002d. A box also comes up saying: " the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." at the bottom use source: c\hp\tmp\src\MSWORKS\ Well I guess I do not what to do and need some guideness. I would really appreciate the help. Mar
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:18 PM

Answers

• I moved your post to the Tune-up topic since the only relationship of this problem to OneCare is that OneCare requires that important and critical updates be installed. The Works update is part of this month's security updates offered via Windows Update - not OneCare.

To resolve Windows Update problems see the Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527 for troubleshooting tips and support options.

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:58 PM
  • If the patch is being offered, you have Works on the PC - I have it on two HP machines.

If you have the cab file on your desktop, you need to open that cab file and extract the contents - the actual patch file to a folder or to the desktop. Once you've done that, you can right click the patch file (I don't recall the name) and select "patch." When I did this, nothing appeared to be happening, so I let it sit for a while before I decided to reboot the PC and revisit Windows Update. Upon doing so, the patch was no longer offered to me as it had installed, albeit with no feedback during the process.

You'll still see the failed update in your update History, though.

-steve

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:49 PM

All replies

• I moved your post to the Tune-up topic since the only relationship of this problem to OneCare is that OneCare requires that important and critical updates be installed. The Works update is part of this month's security updates offered via Windows Update - not OneCare.

To resolve Windows Update problems see the Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527 for troubleshooting tips and support options.

-steve

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:58 PM
  • hello  i want to know what wrong is  with error  i need  getting off this  error    how  i can  ??

Saturday, August 16, 2008 9:06 PM
  • If you are encountering the error for the Works update failing, there is a problem with the update package that affects some people. Basically, patch wants the install CD, but it doesn't ask you for it. You probably don't have it anyway as Works probably came with the PC. The manual install of this KB article will generally succeed, though. You'll find numerous discussion on this patch in the Windows Update newsgroups available via the link to the 

Windows Update Solution Center - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:40 PM
  •  

hi again

I tried downloading from windows update site- us-cab and saveed to desk top and still can not get the update to go through. I have the OCA # only, no cd came with PC because Vista was already installed. Would if be possible to get step by step on how to get this through or may be I don't have Works 8 ??? I am getting upset already trying to find help and even HP will not email you back. Thank you for any HELP

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:26 PM
  • If the patch is being offered, you have Works on the PC - I have it on two HP machines.

If you have the cab file on your desktop, you need to open that cab file and extract the contents - the actual patch file to a folder or to the desktop. Once you've done that, you can right click the patch file (I don't recall the name) and select "patch." When I did this, nothing appeared to be happening, so I let it sit for a while before I decided to reboot the PC and revisit Windows Update. Upon doing so, the patch was no longer offered to me as it had installed, albeit with no feedback during the process.

You'll still see the failed update in your update History, though.

-steve

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:49 PM
  • hi Stephen

Well.we did it-after I opened the cab from desk top-made a file-clicked on the file-and pressed apply-and it went through-than went to the Windows update- and it went through and said update successful. I would like to say thank you for step by step info and thanks for being there for all of us---keep up the great work, you made my day.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:26 PM
  • Glad to have helped.

-steve

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:43 PM
  • I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and nothing helps, I'm so fed up now!  I called microsoft, was given the run around and was told a call would be returned...............not to hear from them, of course?  HP say it's a microsoft problem, although did comment that microsoft need to warn people that pre loaded programs should come with a warning that updates won't work?  I'm lost and confused.........the *experts* can't seem to give me a direct answer or explanation.

When I follow all the suggestions and place update file on deskstop, the error msg then is " works was unable to open the project you requested".......

Where do I go from here or do i just ignore it, unintsall MS WORKS8, ????

And I have the failed update showing 17 times in the hitory update!

Eliza

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:48 PM
  • Eliza, if you are not using OneCare, but are getting this update error from Windows Update, ignore it. If you are using OneCare, go back to support and continue on your open case.

When you save the file to the desktop it should not be considered a project to Works, it is a patch file that executes silently after you extract the contents from the .cab file and double click the extracted file. You don't open the file from within Works.

-steve

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:08 PM