Office Genuine Advantage Validation installation "Failure" RRS feed

• Question

• I've attemped to twice to install the latest Office Genuine Advantage Validation tool (KB949810) from the Microsoft Update website. Both times, the installation has "Failed". I'm using the copy Office 2003 that came installed on this Dell computer: Product ID #73102-OEM-5691563-76400. How can I get the Office Genuine Advantage Validation tool to install sucessfully? Is this something I need to even worry about?

Dennis McPherson
    Better Life Technology, LLC
    dennis@bltllc.com
    913-894-0403 ext 43
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• Hi bltllc,

"Is this something I need to even worry about?"

The Office Genuine Advantage Validation tool will Validate your currently installed copy of Office and inform you if it is Genuine or Non-Genuine. 

However, if you are having troubles installing the tool, you can instead, go to http://microsoft.com/genuine and click the Validate Office button.  This will also Validate your currently installed copy of Office and inform you if it is Genuine or Non-Genuine.

Since a customer would need to activly come to Microsoft to use the Validate Office button, we intended the Validation tool to be released thru Windows Update as a 'We come to you' Validation process instead of the user having to 'Come to us' to Validate.

Hope that answered your question,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:30 PM

All replies

• Please visit Microsoft Genuine Advantage – Diagnostic  Site and click on Start Diagnostics.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, September 21, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Hi bltllc,

"Is this something I need to even worry about?"

The Office Genuine Advantage Validation tool will Validate your currently installed copy of Office and inform you if it is Genuine or Non-Genuine. 

However, if you are having troubles installing the tool, you can instead, go to http://microsoft.com/genuine and click the Validate Office button.  This will also Validate your currently installed copy of Office and inform you if it is Genuine or Non-Genuine.

Since a customer would need to activly come to Microsoft to use the Validate Office button, we intended the Validation tool to be released thru Windows Update as a 'We come to you' Validation process instead of the user having to 'Come to us' to Validate.

Hope that answered your question,
    Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:30 PM