HELP! Site is indexed with randomly chosen URL. RRS feed

• Question

•  

For the past month, since this site (helium-corp.com) launched, msn.com and live.com have been doing something very strange.  If you search for "helium exploration", the site is returned in the top position.  The title is right, the description is right.  However, the domain name is not.  In fact, the searchbot seems to be randomly selecting other domains from the same shared server.  We've had this search result show up under two different wrong domain names. 

What the heck?  And how do I fix this?  The client is not happy about this.

Friday, June 20, 2008 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you sure you aren't getting scraped? Can you provide me with a SERP result?

Thanks,

Brett

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are you sure you aren't getting scraped? Can you provide me with a SERP result?

Thanks,

Brett

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Quite sure.

Key word = helium exploration
    Search results URL = http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=helium+exploration&FORM=MSNH
    URLs in question = 1st search result, which presents the title and description from helium-corp.com and the domain name, zrealtytexas.com

This requires some explanation.

The helium-corp.com site was developed on a shared server.  Among the sites hosted on this server are toddsphotoequipment.com and zrealtytexas.com.  Upon completion of development, helium-corp.com was launched at its final hosting at GoDaddy.  The development files were then removed from the shared server.

Apparently MSN's crawler indexed the site while it was on the development server.  When the site moved, it didn't comprehend that the site was now located on a different server.  Rather, it grabbed random domain names from the original server location and attached them to the title and description from the now missing helium-corp.com.  The site was indexed for about two weeks as toddsphotoequipment.com, and subsequently as zrealtytexas.com.

MSN staffers have had me resubmit the site multiple times.  This has not fixed the problem.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 9:03 PM