WHS and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• HI
    I have recently installed windows 7 the WHS connector works find but I still can not access SOME of the folder on the WHS it tells me I do not have permission.
    I can access ones like Video,Documents,Music,Photos I just can not access ones that I created ie Downloads, Software etc
    I have got through the setting for networking I have network discovery ON File sharing with password OFF and have through the trouble shooting prosess
    Can you help me access the other folders on my server Please
    PS It all worked find on VISTA
    I also have other computers on my network that do not have problems accessing WHS it is only my Windows 7 Computer

Please help
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Music, Photos, Public, Software, Videos, (RecordedTV and Users) are Shared Folders created by Windows Home Server.  I have assumed from your post that you are talking about Folders within those shares.

Frist try this.  If you go to the Windows Home Server Console and select the parent share you have a problem with and select properties and set the access to none for all users.  Then select apply.  Then go back to the dialog and set the permissions correctly.

If that doesn't work you may need to go to each folder on a machine where you can access the folders and go to properties->Security for each top level folder and select Advanced.  There you will see a check box that says "Inherit from parent permission entries that apply to child objects".  Include these with entries explicity defined here.  You can also check "replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects".

If you are in a real mess then you can uncheck the box "Inherit from parent permission entries that apply to child objects" and select remove.  Then check the box again to regain the permissions from the parent.

If the users you have created have access to the folder according to Windows Home Server Console, Users Tab - then all should be well.

Good luck,
    Al
    --
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 11:14 AM
    If that doesn't work you may need to go to each folder on a machine where you can access the folders and go to properties->Security for each top level folder and select Advanced.  There you will see a check box that says "Inherit from parent permission entries that apply to child objects".  Include these with entries explicity defined here.  You can also check "replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects".

If you are in a real mess then you can uncheck the box "Inherit from parent permission entries that apply to child objects" and select remove.  Then check the box again to regain the permissions from the parent.
    Please do not do this (yet, or probably at all). I don't think Al has read your full post.

Given that you have other computers that work fine, and that it worked fine before you upgraded your operating system, the problem you have is not on your server, it's on the client computer that you're seeing the issue on. So please read this FAQ , and follow the instructions in it to make sure that the user account you log into your Windows 7 PC with actually matches an account on Windows Home Server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 12:51 PM