File and Folder Restore Uses Previously Mapped Network Drive as Mount Point Drive Letter RRS feed

• Question

• On a Windows 7 64-bit machine, selecting "Restore files or folders for the computer" from the WHS 2011 Dashboard creates a mount point with the drive letter Z:\ (in addition to the Restore Wizard window).  However, I already use Z:\ to map a network drive, and the new mount point replaces access to that network drive during the restore process.  (Windows Explorer continues to identify the mapped drive as the network drive, although the files and folders pane shows the mounted backup.)

For WHS v1, when a backup was opened from the control panel, a new unused drive letter was assigned.  How can we get WHS 2011 to assign an unused drive letter for its mount points?

• Edited by Mick Mickle Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:38 PM Forgot question mark :)
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:37 PM

All replies

• I recommend submitting a bug report on Connect.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Seems to have fixed itself, oddly.  I disconnected and then remapped two network folders (actually WHS v1 shared folders running on another machine) as Y: and Z:.  The next time I tried WHS 2011 Restore files or folders, the selected backup drive was mounted as the next available low drive letter on my Win7 machine rather than the in-use Z: mapped drive.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:37 PM