Tuneup keeps eating my cookies!! RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to have OneCare not eat all my cookies when I run Tuneup?  I use them for various things, and really really get annoyed when they disappear and I have to enter everything all over again - if I can even remember what settings I used for which site.

BTW, I did look through several pages of threads in this forum and didn't find this answered anywhere else, so if it has been, my apologies for repeating a thread.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 9:47 PM

Answers

• OneCare shouldn't be deleting all of your cookies. It may delete expired cookies, but persistent cookies should remain. Do you have Disk Cleanup enabled in Tune-up? Try running Disk Cleanup manually from Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and check what settings are enabled in there. I believe OneCare respects the settings selected in that interface when you run it manually. Alternatively, turn off Disk Cleanup and see if that resolves the problem.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:29 PM

All replies

• OneCare shouldn't be deleting all of your cookies. It may delete expired cookies, but persistent cookies should remain. Do you have Disk Cleanup enabled in Tune-up? Try running Disk Cleanup manually from Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and check what settings are enabled in there. I believe OneCare respects the settings selected in that interface when you run it manually. Alternatively, turn off Disk Cleanup and see if that resolves the problem.

-steve

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:29 PM
  • I've tried to use your suggestions, but I can't seem to find a way to change (or even see) the settings in Disk Cleanup, and there's no Disk Cleanup in the OneCare Tune-up settings....

The thing that generally gets to me is that it removes my login and password cookies for all the sites I visit....some of them I don't visit often, and I just don't remember the passwords (or even the logins!) half the time.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:58 PM
  • In OneCare - change settings, Tune-up tab, "remove unnecessary files" - uncheck that to disable the disk cleanup.

In the manual run of Disk Cleanup from System Tools on the Start Menu, when you run it, you will be presented with the options.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 1:45 PM