Need help configuring my server, clients, router, and second wireless access point. RRS feed

• Question

• My Hardware

• Home-built server running WHS 2011
    • Home-built desktop running Win 7 Professional 64 bit
    • Laptop running Vista Home Premium
    • Netbook running Win 7 Starter
    • Xbox 360
    • Cisco E2000 router (w/ wireless N)
    • Cisco WRT54G (w/ wireless G)

Knowledge Level

• Beginning my career in IT, but 10+ years of experience
    • A+ stuff I can do in my sleep, been learning Networking and Servers over the past few months for my job

My Goals

• Use my Home Server to store and stream media, backup the three client PCs, and become configured to connect to remotely.
    • Use the E2000 router as my actual router, to connect directly to my cable modem, home server, desktop client, and Xbox 360
    • Use the E2000 as my wireless N access point
    • Connect the WRT54G to the E2000 and use the WRT54G as my wireless G access point

I am having a difficult time configuring my network and installing the WHS 2011 Connect software on the desktop client running Win 7 Professional 64 bit.  The process gets within one cm of completing, after I enter my server password and client computer name, and then reverses.  I believe my issue lies in my router and server network configurations.

I would like recommendations for DHCP, DNS, WINS, Static IP settings among my routers, servers, and clients; recommendations for the settings so one router is a router and wireless N access point while the other is only a wireless G access point.

Can anybody provide advice?

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:55 PM

All replies

• Thanks for asking a comprehensive question - unusual around here.

It does not sound like a network issue to me as you would not have been able to get that far if it were - as long as the server and clients are on the same subnet there should not be an issue. Make sure you only have one DHCP server running and don't use the router/DHCP parts of your second wireless access point (WRT54G).

As for the problem, make sure the time, and zone are correct on server and clients, remote desktop services is running on your client, ensure that there are no non-ASCII characters in the client computer name and that you have no language packs installed on the client.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:16 PM

It does not sound like a network issue to me as you would not have been able to get that far if it were - as long as the server and clients are on the same subnet there should not be an issue. Make sure you only have one DHCP server running and don't use the router/DHCP parts of your second wireless access point (WRT54G).

As for the problem, make sure the time, and zone are correct on server and clients, remote desktop services is running on your client, ensure that there are no non-ASCII characters in the client computer name and that you have no language packs installed on the client.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thank you for the prompt response.  I have verified both server and affected client computers have the same time and date settings and that the client name consists of English alphabet only.

I will check the language pack and remote desktop services on the affected client soon.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:44 PM

Time zones were synced, remote desktop services are running on the client, no language packs are installed, and the client computer does not contain non-ASCII characters.  The connector software still gets about 95% of the way done, after the point where I can see "Connecting this computer to the network," then displays the message:

The installation is cancelled

The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error.  Click Close to undo most of the changes that are made to this computer.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:36 PM
  • OK, not one of the standard problems then! Make sure the client computer name is less than 15 characters and no underscore "_").

Other than that, I suggest you do a search on this forum for information from others who have experienced this problem (I have never seen it). Do you have .NET Ver 4 installed on your Client - removing it and reinstalling is one of the solutions people have mentioned as working.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:43 PM
  • I will search, thank you.  Oddly enough, typing the name of the server in my internet browser brings me to the home server correctly.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:49 PM
  • That supports my belief that it's not a network problem.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:07 PM