oem xp pro RRS feed

• Question

• my PC was built by PC Club (no longer in business) several years ago...  I've changed out the mother board, and I want to install a new hard drive with my current windows xp pro.  The OEM version I have will not get by Genuine Advantage and I've long tossed the paperpwork from the original purchase so I can't upgrade Windows Media or Explorer.  Can I just pay a fee to get a new key and install this on a clean hard drive?  I want to stay with xp and do not want to upgrade.

mikeb
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Mikeb,

I recommend going to http://microsoft.com/genuine and click the Validate Windows button. once it comes up as Non-Genuine it will offer you the option to buy a WGA Kit. A WGA kit is a Genuine copy of XP sold at a substantial discount. You will get the Product Key right away (by email) and then the  software will be sent by mail.

Note: I am unsure if they are still offering XP. If not, then it will offer Vista at a discount.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:47 PM
  • my PC was built by PC Club (no longer in business) several years ago...  I've changed out the mother board, and I want to install a new hard drive with my current windows xp pro.  The OEM version I have will not get by Genuine Advantage and I've long tossed the paperpwork from the original purchase so I can't upgrade Windows Media or Explorer.  Can I just pay a fee to get a new key and install this on a clean hard drive?  I want to stay with xp and do not want to upgrade.

mikeb

Thank you.  That is exactly what I want to do but is there any way I can be sure I can get XP beforehand because I don't want Vista?
    • Marked as answer by l1ndab3l Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by l1ndab3l Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by l1ndab3l Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:18 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Hi Mikeb,

The fasted way would be to follow the steps I gave above, if they offer XP, buy it, if they only offer Vista, don't buy it.  The site will only ask for payment after it has told you what is available for purchase and if you want to buy or not. 

In other words, even if you follow my steps, you are under no obligation to buy anything you don't want.

Another option you have is the Release Candidate of Win 7 is still available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/download.aspx 

The Release Candidate is free and is good till June 2010. This will give you some time (without having to pay) to decide if you like Win 7 or if you want to go back to XP. It's just a thought.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

p.s. I have deleted your other threads.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Mikeb,

I recommend going to http://microsoft.com/genuine and click the Validate Windows button. once it comes up as Non-Genuine it will offer you the option to buy a WGA Kit. A WGA kit is a Genuine copy of XP sold at a substantial discount. You will get the Product Key right away (by email) and then the  software will be sent by mail.

Note: I am unsure if they are still offering XP. If not, then it will offer Vista at a discount.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:47 PM

mikeb

Thank you.  That is exactly what I want to do but is there any way I can be sure I can get XP beforehand because I don't want Vista?
    • Marked as answer by l1ndab3l Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by l1ndab3l Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by l1ndab3l Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:18 AM
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:29 AM
  • Hi Darin,

Are you able to answer my second question?

mikeb
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:34 AM
  • Hi Mikeb,

The fasted way would be to follow the steps I gave above, if they offer XP, buy it, if they only offer Vista, don't buy it.  The site will only ask for payment after it has told you what is available for purchase and if you want to buy or not. 

In other words, even if you follow my steps, you are under no obligation to buy anything you don't want.

Another option you have is the Release Candidate of Win 7 is still available for download at http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/download.aspx 

The Release Candidate is free and is good till June 2010. This will give you some time (without having to pay) to decide if you like Win 7 or if you want to go back to XP. It's just a thought.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

p.s. I have deleted your other threads.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:39 PM