Attempting to move Microsoft Money 2005 file to new computer with Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a new computer to replace my six year old desktop running Windows XP.  I had my Money 2005 CD and I believe successfully loaded the software on the new computer which operates with Windows 7.  The .mny data was also copied onto the new computer and loaded under "My Documents".

MS Money is operating fine on the old computer I will be replacing.  On the new computer when I open MS Money is ask for my password and I use the one I was using on the old computer.  It accepts the password but then I get the following message on the next screen: "Money will convert your file so that you can work with it in Money 2005"  it goes on to tell me it will upgrade my file to Money 2005.  When I click on the next button it tells me it cannot locate the file or cannot open it, possibly because it is read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is protected.

When I check the attributes of the Money file I am attempting to open it does not show "read only" and everytime I attempt to open the file it instantly creates a MS Money 2004 backup file.  I used this same file on the old computer and have no problems.

I've used old MS Money in the past as the data has transactions going back to 2002 but these transactions were converted to MS Money 2005 previously when I loaded the newer version.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Monday, August 13, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• Money 2005 needs an update to 14.0.120.1105 and the online update is no longer available.

Read the first, sticky post in this forum and install the appropriate version of Money for your region. Note that the regional versions cannot read each others' data files.

Monday, August 13, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Thanks for the assistance Dominic.  I was a little concerned as the version of Money I had was "Standard 2005" and I downloaded Money Plus Sunset for Home and Business but it seems to be working ok.  I will have to recreate some of the favorite reports but otherwise this should work fine as I had never used the online functions for banking, etc.

Thanks again!

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Money 2005 needs an update to 14.0.120.1105 and the online update is no longer available.

Read the first, sticky post in this forum and install the appropriate version of Money for your region. Note that the regional versions cannot read each others' data files.

Is it possible for you to get a direct link to that sticky post?  It looks like the forum user interfae has changed, so "first" is hard to find!  Thanks if you can. 
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:31 PM
  • Download Microsoft Money Installation Files: Solve Activation and Some Other Errors

It is now the second, sticky post in https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=money .

If you have just updated to Windows 10, run Windows Update before trying to launch any version of Microsoft Money. The Windows 10 updates include a bypass of a condition which triggers a series of bugs in Money.

Note that the bugs are in all versions of Money which use IE. They could have been triggered at any time when a registry key became longer than 16 characters. Windows 10 is (wrongly) being blamed because this is the first time the key has exceeded 16 characters.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:22 PM