Selective deleation of drives RRS feed

• General discussion

• WHServer needs the ability to slectively delete drives from older backups. I have run into a problem / limitation when I reconfigured one physical drive on one of my backup machines. WHS will no longer allow me to backup the new drive configuration without first deleting the ENTIRE backup for each prior date. I can understand why it won't allow backups of reconfigured drives but it should allow me to delete just those changed drives / partitions without requiring me to delete all other drives as well.

Jeff

Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:03 PM

All replies

• Muzza,

There is no way, without a complete re-write of the software, of achieving what you want. WHS actually only saves individual clusters into a 4Gb file; this file can include backups from different computers and only the pointers give an indication that a particular cluster is for example, C/Photos/Muzza.bmp.

As this is a 'backup' system, there is no reason why you shouldn't delete all backups and start again, it's designed as a disaster recovery system, not to recover individual files on a regular basis. If your client computer is now running OK, running a new backup would be quick and easy.

Colin

Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:20 PM