none
Does Microsoft release my email address? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just created my Technet profile using my Windows Live ID. Does Microsoft release my Windows Live account's email address in my public profile, or can you guarantee to me it will remain private and only accessible by Microsoft itself?

Also, I have two Windows Live accounts. How can I change my Technet account to the other Windows Live account, so email correspondence goes to that email address instead? Note - I want to keep both Windows Live accounts, but *just* change my Technet email address.

Thanks.
    • Edited by Matt Huxtable Monday, August 31, 2009 8:34 PM Added a question regarding multiple Windows Live accounts
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:27 PM

Answers

• We don't share or expose any email addresses. Regarding your live
    account question, what display names are you referring to? And what do
    you mean by "TechNet Account"?

Community Forums Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by Whosane002 Friday, September 4, 2009 5:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Matt Huxtable Monday, March 29, 2010 11:40 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:03 PM
    Answerer
  • This issue has been coming up lately. I've discussed this with our team and we plan to have a feature to disassociate Windows Live accounts to profiles and associate a different live id account. No ETA as to when we'll have the feature implemented and released but it's under discussion. In Matt's case, it's not recommended to have 2 windows live id accounts.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:49 AM

All replies

• We don't share or expose any email addresses. Regarding your live
    account question, what display names are you referring to? And what do
    you mean by "TechNet Account"?

Community Forums Program Manager
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:03 PM
    Answerer
  • Brent -

I'm guessing he's meaning the display name shown in the upper part of a post - in my case "Wolfie2k6". From what he's said, it sounds like he's got 2 hotmail (or live.com) email address and he wants to use a different one than the one he's been using for his TechNet profile.

Example: He's got his Technet profile's name set to Matt Huxtable. Any alerts he gets get sent to say, "mhuxtableA @ hotmail.com" but he wants them sent to "mhuxtableB @ hotmail.com".
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:29 PM
  • This issue has been coming up lately. I've discussed this with our team and we plan to have a feature to disassociate Windows Live accounts to profiles and associate a different live id account. No ETA as to when we'll have the feature implemented and released but it's under discussion. In Matt's case, it's not recommended to have 2 windows live id accounts.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Thanks for confirming my email information will not be released. I anticipate the arrival of the disassociation from a Windows Live account feature, with the ability to link up with another.

Another question which I had regarding this - if I go to 'My Settings' and press 'Edit my Personal Information' I can change my email address here. By default it has my Windows Live address. If I change it here, it doesn't seem to affect my Windows Live account - I still sign in with the same email address, but that particular 'Personal Information' section of the forum shows a new address I entered.

What exactly am I looking at in that view, and if I change my email address there what does it affect?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:58 PM
  • The profile settings (here in Forums) is not related to your Windows Live Account. If you edit your settings, it doesn't update your Windows Live account settings.  Edits that you make here in Forums ("via My Settings or My Profile") is only for public display or in other words contact information for community members who participate in Forums or other apps such as Code Gallery, etc... (If you want community members to get in touch with you)

STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:28 AM