WHS 2011 Media - Remote Web Access - a problem with media files not appearing RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WHS 2011.  When I log in via remote web access and media sharing is enabled, I can see the three categories in the "Media Library" window - "Browse Pictures", "Browse Music", and "Browse Videos".  I have several songs in the "ServerFolders\Music" folder on the server and I used to see the album art come up in the Remote Web Access home screen under "Browse Music".  Now, the "Browse Music" icon on the Remote Web Access screen says "0 songs" even though I have not moved or deleted any songs from the ServerFolders\Music folder on the WHS machine.  If I go to the "Shared Folders" window and open the "Music" window there on remote web access, all of the music folders are listed as expected.

I am not sure how to reset or refresh the "Media Library" window to recognize the music folders I have on the server.

Please advise..........................

Thank you for your help.

Additional info:

On the WHS machine, I double checked that the Music folder was enabled in the "Shared folders in the Media Library" (I did this via the Dashboard\Server Settings).  I also double checked that the Music library on the WHS machine did include the ServerFolders\Music folder where the music is stored.

• Edited by NickDOS Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:59 PM
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 6:56 PM

All replies

• I am running WHS 2011.  When I log in via remote web access and media sharing is enabled, I can see the three categories in the "Media Library" window - "Browse Pictures", "Browse Music", and "Browse Videos".  I have several songs in the "ServerFolders\Music" folder on the server and I used to see the album art come up in the Remote Web Access home screen under "Browse Music".  Now, the "Browse Music" icon on the Remote Web Access screen says "0 songs" even though I have not moved or deleted any songs from the ServerFolders\Music folder on the WHS machine.  If I go to the "Shared Folders" window and open the "Music" window there on remote web access, all of the music folders are listed as expected.

I am not sure how to reset or refresh the "Media Library" window to recognize the music folders I have on the server.

Please advise..........................

Thank you for your help.

Additional info:

On the WHS machine, I double checked that the Music folder was enabled in the "Shared folders in the Media Library" (I did this via the Dashboard\Server Settings).  I also double checked that the Music library on the WHS machine did include the ServerFolders\Music folder where the music is stored.

I dug this up on: http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/08/10/windows-home-server-2011-metadata-synchronisation-issue-update/

Is this the problem I am seeing with the Media Streaming Metadata Synchronizer?  The article stated there is a MS bug that appears to be related to my issue.  Would be nice to get MS support on this..................

Monday, January 2, 2012 12:24 AM
  • It sounds as though you need to rebuild the index of your Music Library. See here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/97cb26ec-3236-4b09-91de-07f1d4c08d0a

The bug that you reference is for a different issue: by default, WHS 2011 runs a scheduled task to update music metadata in your music files and uses an online service as the source for the metadata. Trouble is, for those of us who have spent time and effort ensuring that our metadata is accurate, and just the way we want it, this update task will merrily overwrite our metadata with what it thinks is the correct metadata...

Monday, January 2, 2012 12:07 PM