Freezing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I had a HDAMA Rev G mobo that I was using quite happily until I started having issues with some of the IDE channels, so I purchased an EXACT same MOBO, but it had the additional SATA ports on the MOBO, so I flashed the BIOS etc and all was fine for the first 4-5 boots, now though the server has started freezing at random intervals

I have checked event viewer and there is nothing significant in there

It has all the latest updates etc

Advice?

Monday, November 8, 2010 11:04 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone and thanks to those that offered help,

as this was a rack mounted server, I pulled it out of the rack and decided to reseat the CPU's - same thing happened.

I then thought it can only be a few more things hardware wise, so I plugged in an older PSU and ran it outside the case and the server has been going strong over weekend..

Hope this helps someone else in the future

• Marked as answer by Tiberium Monday, November 15, 2010 8:55 AM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 8:55 AM

All replies

• Right, some significant things in event viewer now:-

Warning - CqvSvc.exe - Exception occurred:  System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Error - Windows Search Service - The Windows Search Service has failed to create the SystemIndex search index.
    Internal error <4, 0x80040d8b,
    Failed to add project: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Projects>

Error - TermServDevices - Driver Send To Microsoft OneNote Driver required for printer Send To OneNote 2007 is unknown.
    Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Freezing usually indicates some sort of hardware problem, so perhaps your replacement motherboard is faulty? Have you tested the memory in your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:22 PM
  • thats the thing, it was all working fine the first 4/5 boots didnt change anything, it happens even if I dont access the server or log into it at all.

Checked and replaced the RAM with known good modules and the same result..

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Ok so to try and give more info so people can help (hopefully)

I have swapped the MOBO for an exact same model, chipset etc the only difference is that it has 4x SATA ports onboard, where by previously I was using multiple PCI and PCIX add in cards to run the hard drives, there were lots of hard drives in the old system and I have now consolidated to 3x 2TB ones and a 250GB IDE which is the C:/ (just to avoid messing with the drivers at the F6 part)

So after flashing the BIOS to the latest version and configuring the BIOS, I installed all the hardware and windows booted just fine, hardware side there are 2x opteron 250CPUs on a HDAMA rev G board, and 4x 512MB of ECC DDR400 and the HDDs connected onboard...

No when the server seems to freeze, the HDD activity lights just stop as if no activity is present, the server icon goes to grey on my clients and thats it, if I turn the monitor on and try and move the mouse, nothing its completely froze.

Software wise I have Utorrent installed, but no longer used, add in wise I have perfectdisk and Lights out. Now when the server crashes/freezes if I leave it on lights out is set to hibernate after 10 minutes (but obviously this doesnt happen)

I didnt install/reinstall any software or NIC drivers etc as they are the exact same as mentioned above from the last MOBO

My WHS has a static IP address controlled by my router (it uses the MAC address of the device and then distributes it the IP adress based on that)

so my router is 192.168.1.1 my server is 192.168.1.2 and I have 8/9 other devices that all do the same....

This is getting annoying now and there is no obvious thing it could be, it can happen 2 minutes after a restart it can happen an hour after a restart now the only other thing I can think of that might help is that when the WHS boots I get a beep and when I look it sometimes says 'a service failed to start' but the errors are the ones I posted above and only those...

I dont really want to do a server reinstallation if I dont have to...

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 8:42 AM
  • The TermServDevices error seems to be that you have a printer on the client not found on the server. You can ignore this.

Are you able to find which service failed to start during boot? Should be in the event logs.

Friday, November 12, 2010 1:06 PM
  • Hi everyone and thanks to those that offered help,

as this was a rack mounted server, I pulled it out of the rack and decided to reseat the CPU's - same thing happened.

I then thought it can only be a few more things hardware wise, so I plugged in an older PSU and ran it outside the case and the server has been going strong over weekend..

Hope this helps someone else in the future

• Marked as answer by Tiberium Monday, November 15, 2010 8:55 AM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 8:55 AM