Backup / Restore problem with BETA 2010 Version RRS feed

• Question

• I had a project server 2010 beta release installed on a server and now i need to copy the databases to the new Project server 2010 RC installation. If my central administration backup and restore utility is not working, how do I backup all the project server databases from the previous beta version? Thanks
    Friday, April 9, 2010 2:26 PM

Answers

• Joao:

There is no upgrade path from Beta to RC or from RC to RTM. You must move your projects manually, and recreate your settings. I believe that the resource kit will have a playbooks type tool like 2007 had, but I can't be sure it will work between prereleased and released version. That is why I'm suggesting that you wait a few more weeks and simply move to the release version and skip RC.

Please don't collapse. Just think how good you're going to be the interface!

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:04 PM

All replies

• Joao:

You can't reuse the databases. You need to migrate any content you want to save manually. Understand that you will not be able to then move your RC databases to the RTM version, so you may want to wait until May 12 when the RTM bits become available. If you are a TAP member, you should ask this question to your lead.

Project Server Help BLOG
    Friday, April 9, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Joao:

You can't reuse the databases. You need to migrate any content you want to save manually. Understand that you will not be able to then move your RC databases to the RTM version, so you may want to wait until May 12 when the RTM bits become available. If you are a TAP member, you should ask this question to your lead.

Project Server Help BLOG

Thank you for your reply.

What do you mean by "migrate any content you want to save manually"?

Do I need to export all the projects to a xml or mpp file and then import them in the new server?

At this point I need to test this procedure migrating from Beta version to RC version so that i can move from RC version to RTM version later on.

We allready have a lot of data envolved in this beta installation because we were developing and at the same time, users were feeding the system.

If you are telling me that all of this was for nothing and that i need to reconfigure everything, I will collapse...

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Joao:

There is no upgrade path from Beta to RC or from RC to RTM. You must move your projects manually, and recreate your settings. I believe that the resource kit will have a playbooks type tool like 2007 had, but I can't be sure it will work between prereleased and released version. That is why I'm suggesting that you wait a few more weeks and simply move to the release version and skip RC.

Please don't collapse. Just think how good you're going to be the interface!

Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:04 PM