Unable to Delete programs RRS feed

• General discussion

• Since the installation of Live OneCare on the PC, the Control Panel will not respond to the Add/ Delete tab.

Has anyone seen this problem??? and I would appreciate a recommendation............

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 3:44 PM

All replies

• I have not seen this. Are all other functions working fine on the PC?

In XP, go to Start/Run and type

appwiz.cpl

then click OK.

Does the control panel applet open?

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:39 AM
  • I have the same issue and have not been able to resolve it. I disabled Microsoft Automatic Updates and no longer use IE Explorer due to having to continually choose my Browser and Search tool on startup.

I now use Mozilla Firefox. No more Microsh$% for me!
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:23 PM
  •  horatiozep wrote:
    I have the same issue and have not been able to resolve it. I disabled Microsoft Automatic Updates and no longer use IE Explorer due to having to continually choose my Browser and Search tool on startup.

I now use Mozilla Firefox. No more Microsh$% for me!

Are you using OneCare 2.0? If not, you're off topic. If yes, please file a bug on Connect.

-steve

Monday, August 13, 2007 6:04 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thanks for your response and still the Control Panel Applet will not open.

Any ideas are welcome.

Monday, August 13, 2007 8:40 PM
  • If you go to the Start menu and select Run and then type appwiz.cpl and click OK does the add/remove applet start?

My recommendation is to contact support if it doesn't and you are certain that it only failed after OneCare was installed.

Use the Get More Help link on this page - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

-steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:15 AM
  • For goodness sake, I'm so retro, I just found out about OneCare and I like it but . . .

somehow I lost the hardware drive for my printer so I got on this trip to fix it. While doing that I couldn't use the CD drive for my disk cause it wasn't working. So I went to this site on the internet (forgot which one and my history folder doesn't retain well) and this site had a download for my HP printer and I could download and run it from the internet. So I did.

Good news! And I don't know how it happened. MY CD drive came back after I used OneCare because it did a lot of things that I think were useful, like cleaning the registry for the most part. And viruses and such were also cleared, whatever . . . anyway it worked, my CD drive was fixed.

But here's the kicker. Whenever it was that I went back to Add/Remove panel to take out the HP printer program from the internet, it left a ghost. And I can't get it out. The names of two programs are still in there and they won't go away. I went ahead and downloaded the HP printer program from my CD and even though I got my CD drive back, I still can't print.

I think it's those two ghosts still hanging around in the Add/Remove panel that is preventing me from getting a real clean program out of my CD. And I have tried everything and OneCare doesn't see it.

OneCare can't see what's going on underneath the skin.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 6:25 PM