HP MSS EX470 CPU Upgrade (VPU Temp) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I finally got my CPU upgraded. However at idle the CPU Clock Speed is 1000, not 1800 as previously stated in the DIY on HomeServerHacks.  When I run CPU Burn-In, the clock speed jumps to 2600.

The sys temp went from 43 to 47 and the CPU temp went from 47 to 58 in only 2 minutes. Prior to the upgrade, both my system and CPU temps hung arount 37 degrees.

Now several hours after the upgrade and WHS has been setting idle, the system temp is 44 and the CPU temp is 37.  When I now run CPU Burn-In, the CPU temp jumps up to 46C in less than a minute.

What do you all think?  Did I maybe not do a good install with the heat sink?

Thanks,

SilkRod

Saturday, April 26, 2008 10:19 AM

All replies

• Two things. First, you don't mention what your new processor is. It's possible that you're seeing the correct idle speed if you're not using the exact same processor that Donavon did in his "how to". Second, if you aren't exceeding your processor's maximum design temperature under load (and I doubt that you are), you probably don't have any serious issues. Your temps are higher than Donavon's, but we don't know what your ambient conditions are (or his) and once again we don't know what CPU you used. Also, it takes a little while for thermal paste to reach maximum conductivity, so over time I would expect your temperatures to come down a bit. If you're still concerned about your heat sink, you could reseat it. Be careful when you tighten the screws; tighten them all until they just make contact, then snug them down in order.
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 2:52 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Two things. First, you don't mention what your new processor is. It's possible that you're seeing the correct idle speed if you're not using the exact same processor that Donavon did in his "how to". Second, if you aren't exceeding your processor's maximum design temperature under load (and I doubt that you are), you probably don't have any serious issues. Your temps are higher than Donavon's, but we don't know what your ambient conditions are (or his) and once again we don't know what CPU you used. Also, it takes a little while for thermal paste to reach maximum conductivity, so over time I would expect your temperatures to come down a bit. If you're still concerned about your heat sink, you could reseat it. Be careful when you tighten the screws; tighten them all until they just make contact, then snug them down in order.

Thanks Ken for responding.

1.  I am using the same CPU that Donavon did in his DIY, the AMD LE-1640 2.6MHz.  In his DIY, he states that the idle speed should be 1800, whereas my is 1000, yet my loaded speed imediately jumps up to 2600 when I run CPU Burn-In.

2.  After over 24-hours since the ungrade, my system temp is now hanging around 43C and my CPU temp hangs around 36C.  I guess these are pretty good numbers.  As for my ambient temp, it is pretty warm in my home office.  I've got a lot of external equipment running and all four drive bays of the MSS are loaded.  Not warm enough for me to start running the A/C yet.

Thanks,

SilkRod

Sunday, April 27, 2008 4:38 AM