Windows 7 Professional doesn't change to Enterprise with volume licence key RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows 7 Enterprise and activated it. After installing all applications / updates I ran sysprep (OOBE / Generalize). Made a image of it and imaged another laptop when I activate with Volume License Key it still says Windows 7 Professional and doesn't change to Windows 7 Enterprise. I've tried different Windows 7 Enterprise key with same results.

Friday, March 1, 2013 7:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• It appears you installed Windows 7 Professional rather than Windows 7 Enterprise.  You cannot change it.  You would need to perform a "clean install" using Windows 7 Enterprise edition in your image.

Carey Frisch

Friday, March 1, 2013 10:16 PM
  • Hi Carey,

I used the same CD to install other systems and it activates as Win Enterprise. This is second laptop its doing this. Rebuilding the 1st machine with the same CD resolved it. I wanted to find out if there is a reason its doing this and if there is a fix for it rather then rebuilding every time it does this.

Friday, March 1, 2013 10:52 PM
  • To my knowledge an installation of Windows 7 Professional cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Enterprise by changing the product key.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, March 2, 2013 1:53 AM
  • Do you know where I can actually download Windows 7 Enterprise from? I don't see it on Microsoft site or even on volume licensing site.
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:48 AM
  • You need to contact your Volume License provider in order to obtain Windows 7 Enterprise volume license installation media.  Please see: Microsoft Volume Licensing Service Center

Carey Frisch

Saturday, March 2, 2013 3:32 PM