Backup to 2nd HD RRS feed

• Question

• I want to back up to second HD on/in my laptop but when i type the directory, being (d:) for that drive it comes up as a error message saying invalid.......

How do i overcome this if there is a way?

Lee.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:05 PM

Answers

• Monday, March 16, 2009 12:13 AM
  • You can select "Map Network Drive" from the tools menu in Windows Explorer or right from the command bar in Vista.
    Jim
    • Marked as answer by leeeeee Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:27 AM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Create a Share on the second drive. That means to create a folder with a name of your choosing and then selecting Properties for that folder and sharing the folder to all users with full access. The Share gets a name.

Then, when configuring Centralized Backup, the location you will use is a network location:
    \\computername\sharename where computername= the name of your computer, and sharename= the name of the shared folder you created.

Personally, I suggest *not* doing this. Pick up an external drive and backup to it.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:21 PM

All replies

• Monday, March 16, 2009 12:13 AM
  • Gold.

Thankyou.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:36 AM
  • How do you select, map to......

I, the third step I can't do, when i select (right click) the second HD it on has, open, share...., etc nothing about, map to....

Do you know how to do it or is it just the post that your refering me to? whateva..?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:33 AM
  • You can select "Map Network Drive" from the tools menu in Windows Explorer or right from the command bar in Vista.
    Jim
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:38 AM
  • I try to enter Z: in the add network.... and it says invalid....?

(Slowly getting there) :-l
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:59 AM
  • Create a Share on the second drive. That means to create a folder with a name of your choosing and then selecting Properties for that folder and sharing the folder to all users with full access. The Share gets a name.

Then, when configuring Centralized Backup, the location you will use is a network location:
    \\computername\sharename where computername= the name of your computer, and sharename= the name of the shared folder you created.

Personally, I suggest *not* doing this. Pick up an external drive and backup to it.
    -steve
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Ahh cheers. All good done.

Haha. Thanks
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Because both internals could get damaged?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:12 AM
  • leeeeee said:

Because both internals could get damaged?

Yes. If the computer itself is lost or damaged, you have no backups. If you have used an external drive, you have a better chance of recovery.
    -steve
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:17 PM
  • ahh cool i was thinking that , very good
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:29 AM