Unable to create volume snapshot RRS feed

• Question

• I'd had WHS RC running ok for about 2 weeks now.  This morning, the backups on my laptop started failing.  The pop-up balloon error on my laptop says...

The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot.  Run  chckdsk on the PC. 

The another pop-up balloon on my laptop says...

Backup service on SERVER not running.

I then loggon to WHS via the console and the details of the backup says...

Failure Details for Volume (Local Disk):
    No failure occurred or no reason for the failure was reported.

Now I've rebooted WHS, started a manual backup of the laptop and but get the same  volume snapshot and backup service errors.

Which is it??  Is the backup service not running on the server or  is my laptop harddrive screwed up?  These seem like completely independent errors.  Plus it's ridiculous that WHS says "no failure reported" since I see the reported errors with my own eyes.

Any ideas?
    Friday, June 22, 2007 12:21 PM

Answers

• I turned off my laptop, left it off for the day, then when I got home and turned the laptop back on  backups started working fine!  This indicates to me either a thermal issue or memory leakish issue with XP.

This drives me crazy.  This is supposed to be an "easy tool my grandma can use" yet things like this still happen.  WHS gave me conflicted error/no error messages, then the fix had nothing to do with the errors...it doesn't make any sense.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 11:50 AM

All replies

• Did you run chkdsk /f from a command prompt on the laptop?
    Friday, June 22, 2007 12:32 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:
    Did you run chkdsk /f from a command prompt on the laptop?

No.  Since  I seem to have conflicting observable errors I didn't want to do anything until I studied this a little.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 4:43 PM
  •  kpictjl wrote:
     Crash2975 wrote:
    Did you run chkdsk /f from a command prompt on the laptop?

No.  Since  I seem to have conflicting observable errors I didn't want to do anything until I studied this a little.

I think chkdsk /f is fairly risk free. You may also run chkdsk without the /f parameter and the check the log to see if any problems were found. (After running chkdsk, "Control Panel", "Adminstrative Tools", "Event Viewer" , "Application". In the "Source" column, look for the "Winlogon" item. Double click it and you should see the results of your chkdsk.)

Saturday, June 23, 2007 12:14 AM
  • I got the same problem after replacing the harddrive and did a restore.

I ran chkdsk and was able to do the backup again

Ron

Saturday, June 23, 2007 2:06 AM
  • I turned off my laptop, left it off for the day, then when I got home and turned the laptop back on  backups started working fine!  This indicates to me either a thermal issue or memory leakish issue with XP.

This drives me crazy.  This is supposed to be an "easy tool my grandma can use" yet things like this still happen.  WHS gave me conflicted error/no error messages, then the fix had nothing to do with the errors...it doesn't make any sense.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 11:50 AM
  • I am having this problem on one of my PCs as well. I have run chkdsk /f /r and it has not helped. The backup runs fine on the other computers. One thing that may or may not be related in my case is that the computer that the backup is failing is running the Norton Anti-Virus/Protection Center that was provided by my ISP. The other two are running McAfee.

CAB 354236179

Sunday, July 1, 2007 5:53 PM
  • Is Norton set to do a scheduled scan, and if so at what time?
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 6:59 PM
  • If you run it from a cmd prompt, rather than the Run command, then you don't even need to go looking for the Event Logs Smile
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 7:00 PM
  • I will have to check if it is set for a scheduled scan or not, but I also get the errors when I try to do a manual backup of the PC (either from the WHS console or from the PC) when Norton is not performing a scan.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 1:23 AM
  •  Ted V wrote:
    I will have to check if it is set for a scheduled scan or not, but I also get the errors when I try to do a manual backup of the PC (either from the WHS console or from the PC) when Norton is not performing a scan.

i think there is a problem between chkdsk and vista & Home Server's Backup technology, becorse backups works fine on XP SP2, i get chkdsk errors on vista  but there is nothing wrong with the harddrive!, i have run most MOST dignostics and nothing is wrong so there is a bug in chkdsk on vista, i assume chkdisk is being used with WHS backup

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:25 AM
  • I think that it is more than with just Vista. All of my machines are XP Pro SP2. This one machine will not back up, manually or automatically. I even turned off Norton before trying a manual backup. (BTW, Norton was not set to do scheduled backups.) I ran chkdsk, Partition Magic, Spin Write and nothing has alerted my of errors on the drive. Just WHS Backup saying that there is.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 2:41 PM
  • Chkdsk is not used for WHS backup, although it is used to check the WHS drives twice a day to make sure they're OK. Backup uses the Volume Snapshot feature on the local machine, and it that fails, something is preventing it from getting a proper capture of the drive. So the recommendation is to run chkdsk to fix the problem, which it does most of the time. Things that may interfere include disk activity such as virus scanning, defrag etc.

TommyLA, when you run chkdsk /f what report does it gives you? Chkdsk is a well tried and tested tool, so I would be surprised if it was reporting spurious results.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:06 PM
  • Crash,

That is straight forward with how it does it for the Volume Snapshot, but here is what I'm wondering. If I turn off everything on my desktop (Virus protection, Spyware protection, etc) and I'm not able to get the WHS backup to get a Volume Snapshot and chkdsk says that the drive is ok, then is the problem the WHS Backup or that there is a problem with the drive that chkdsk is not finding and how would I determin this?

Thanks,

Ted

Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:17 PM
  •  Ted V wrote:

Crash,

That is straight forward with how it does it for the Volume Snapshot, but here is what I'm wondering. If I turn off everything on my desktop (Virus protection, Spyware protection, etc) and I'm not able to get the WHS backup to get a Volume Snapshot and chkdsk says that the drive is ok, then is the problem the WHS Backup or that there is a problem with the drive that chkdsk is not finding and how would I determin this?

Thanks,

Ted

You can also try to run a local backup of the system drive on your workstation using ntbackup (right click any local drive, properties, tools, backup). Ntbackup also creates shadow copy, so this should tell you if the system is able to create shadow copy of the volume you are trying to backup
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 1:34 PM
  • Ok, I tried to do a manual local backup using ntbackup and it worked fine. Any guesses?
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:56 PM
  • Hi I too am having the same problem on two machines. These two machines have never backed up in either  beta  or rc1. Both are older P3 machines, one is a music server and one is my wife's. Both are hardwired and running xp sp2. When attempting a backup I get the message that a snapshot could not be done and do the scandisk thing. The server says backup service not running after error. I do the scandisk and reboot the server and desktops and the same thing happens. Any ideas?
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 3:15 PM
  •  

Same problem here as the OP, however it only affects my XP Home machine. Vista and XP Pro work flawlessly. Countless chkdsk's and other disk utilites report no errors on the client's drive.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 5:11 AM
  • I have a new Compaq, having the same problem....

did chkdsk /f /r "on both" partitions

It has Vista Home Basic

There is a "built in" recovery partition mounted, could this be the problem? any solutions yet?

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:16 AM
  • No, that shouldn't make a difference as it's a separate volume. If you go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and find the Volume Snapshot / Volume Shadow Service, is it set to Manual or Automatic?

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:10 PM
  • I've just been through the same sequence of problems with a Vista Vaio Laptop. My network has three other PCs (mix of Vista & XP) but suddenly the laptop backup was failing with the same messages as everyone else is reporting.

Tried chkdsk /f /r , no errors. Rebooted both server & laptop but nothing worked.

Then I looked at the backup settings for the laptop and realised that I was trying to backup both the c drive and the recovery partition. Removed the recovery partition from the backup settings and now everything seems to be OK. Have backed up the laptop twice without error.

My theory is that there is no room on the recovery partition for the shadow copy.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 7:02 PM
  • Thats what I did, without luck. I checked the services and still no luck. Its a new laptop, so I manully backed up my files and performed a factory restore, installed the connector and it backed-up. So now I can reload it.....

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 7:35 PM
  •  

My laptop (Running Vista Home Basic) has been backing up with no problems until a few days ago. I tried a manual backup, and it told me it couldn't create a volume snapshot.

I ran chkdsk as it said, then immediately ran a manual backup.

However, last night the routine backup failed again, so I tried a manual one. Can't create snapshot. Ran chkdsk again, and tried a manual backup immediately afterwards - still can't create a volume snapshot. Am running chkdsk /f /r again now, just in case.

Otherwise, will try restoring the good backup from yesterday's manual backup that worked, and see what happens.

(Should add that my desktop, running Vista Home Premium and my flatmate's laptop running XP Pro both are still having no problems with the backups!)

Friday, August 3, 2007 8:30 AM
  • Crash,

You were right on the money! I had the same WHS failure message as others, and I discovered that my Volume Shadow Copy Provider service had been disabled. Enabling it did the trick.

Microsoft should really work on better error checking/messages. It should really tell you that the service it needs is disabled, and even offer to enable it (with admin approval if needed.) Only then could my mother use it.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 8:07 PM
  • Good news, gallde. This service should be enabled on install, so this suggests that either install wasn't successful in setting the service up in the first place or something is changing the status afterwards. Has yours been reporting this error since install, or just recently?

Monday, August 20, 2007 11:33 PM
  • Crash,

I probably turned off the service on my laptop some time ago in an effort to remove unused services. Little did I know I'd be using it later on for WHS backups!

Still, this error should be handled properly, by checking for all needed services being active, even if only at WHS Connector installation.

-- Dean

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:37 AM
  • I checked the Volume Shadow Service and it was turned off. I have set it to Auto and made sure that it was started, but still no luck.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:30 PM
  • I've been running WHS RC1 for about a month, and the day before yesterday I got this message ("The backup failed because your computer was unable to create a volume snapshot") for the first time on one machine (desktop running Vista Ultimate).  I ran chkdsk /f /r on both logical drives as the error message instructed.  It required a reboot and then took an hour or two to finish as I recall.  I stayed around for most of the on-screen activity and didn't see any drive problems get reported.  After it was done I was able to do a manual backup without a problem.

Yesterday the daily automatic backup took place without issue.  Today, it's getting late, and no daily backup has happened yet, so I initiated one manually and got the "unable to create volume snapshot" error again.  A Google search brought me right to this thread.  There are no operational problems with this computer that I can detect, so I'm not sure I can believe there's anything wrong with the drives.  I checked just now in Services and the Volume Shadow Copy service has a status of 'Started" and a startup type of 'manual.'  I don't see anything wrong here to explain the issue.  I wonder if it could be some other program or process that's interfering with the volume shadow creation?  As others have lamented, it sure would be nice if we could get some information in our error messages.

Monday, September 3, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Well, OK.  I decided to just reboot the machine that couldn't create its volume snapshot.  After it rebooted, the WHS Connector told me that the Backup Service on the server wasn't running.  But I waited and a few minutes later, the Backup Service was running on the server.  Apparently it restarted itself.  Not sure why a failure of the volume shadow copy on a client should cause the backup service on the server to fail, but I'm glad it restarted without my intervention.

Then I started a manual backup and this time it completed without a problem.  So, all I needed to do this time was reboot to get the volume shadow copy to function.

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:20 PM
  • Guys,

I had the same problem; whs not backing up my xp pro machine,continously saying run chkdsk etc wich i had done a thousand times. Volume shadow copy service running etc. etc.

Untill vssadmin list writers gave error 0x8000ffff wich i searched for on internet; the following lines worked for me,at the time i'm writing this my system is finally being backuped by whs (in my opinion,it's a pitty that whs is depending on a 'faulty'client)

Here are the magic lines:

1. From command prompt:

Cd windows\system32
    Net stop vss
    Net stop swprv
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll ------- I was able to register it, before Iwas getting error 0x8000ffff
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll -------- I had XP, I guess this should work for 2003 only.
    regsvr32 msxml.dll -------- the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll -------- if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Oscar.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:49 PM
  • Thanks for the update, Oscar - could you please explain the reference to "vssadmin list writers gave error..." - was this in the Event Log?

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:13 AM
  • David,

I have been experiencing exactly the same problem as you had. Can you explain how you looked at the backup settings and removed the recovery partition from the backup settings. Many thanks.

Mick
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:37 AM
  • I've been having the same problem on Windows XP Pro. I resolved the problem by looking up the EventID from the System event log. The EventID was 12292 for the VSS service. After a quick search on eventid.net, the solution was related to the "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" service being disabled. I set it to Manual and the backup  was able to complete. Hope that helps some of you out there.

I agree with others on here... Microsoft needs to provide better error messages or at least have the backup process validate the system is ready to complete backups.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 9:19 PM
  • Please would you tell me how to perform the above action.  In simple steps please, I'm a little out of my depth here.  I am running XP Pro and even when I restore a previous back-up and run back-up, I still get the 'cannot create volume snapshot'. 

Thanks - John
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  

John... here's what to do:

Right-click My Computer and select Manage

Near the bottom, select Services and Applications -> Services

In the list, find the service named "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider"

Right-click it and select Properties

In the Startup type drop down menu, change the value from Disabled to Manual

Click OK to apply the changes.

That's it... this will allow the service to start only when needed.

Hope that helps.

Sean

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 7:15 PM
  • Thanks for that, hovever when I clicked on properties I received the message 'The specified device instance handle does not correspond to a present device'.  Also, when I tried to start it, it failed with Error 1053; The service did not respond to the start of control request in a timely fashion.  The setting was Manual, but it seems that may not the problem.  I assume I need to re-install this device somehow?  Any ideas?

Thanks for the support - John
    Wednesday, January 2, 2008 8:26 PM
  • An update to my previous post.  I've reinstalled Volume Shadow Copy using Windows XP (KB903234) update file, but still no sucess with the backup.

Thanks - John

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 9:47 PM
  • Thanks Oscar - this has worked for me, at least first time.  Does this mean that the problem is with the connector installation routine?

Saturday, January 5, 2008 8:54 AM
  • No, it doesn't have anything to do with the connector, allthough it might be a good idea for MS to build in a routine when installing this connector to have the connector check the client if for instance the backup routine will be able to run.

Oscar.

Saturday, January 5, 2008 10:37 AM
  • G'day Oscar,

I would like to try your "fix" for this problem, as I'm getting the same messages, "unable to create volume snapshot, run ckdsk" etc, etc and getting nowhere fast!!!!!
    I'm not very PC savvy and when I type in the first line in Command Prompt and press enter I get a "bad command" message and it sends me back to the prompt to start again.
    So, can you describe how to type in multiple lines in Command Prompt so that I can try it.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Mick
    Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Not Oscar, but just to be clear - presumably you've checked that the Volume Snapshot Service is running on that PC, and you've run CHKDSK /f /r from the command prompt to check that there are no errors on your disk? And checked the Event Log to see if there are any specific errors that relate to the VSS service?

Oscar's first line needs a tweak, the addition of another backslash, because he may have been working from a different folder on his system (note that the capitalisation doesn't make any difference, by the way):

1. From command prompt:

cd \windows\system32

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:16 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Crash,

Yes, I've checked the VSS service, Event Log for errors and run chkdsk /f /r (many times) with no errors reported. Do I just hit the "enter" key at the end of each line?

Cheers

Mick

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Yes, Mick - each line is a separate command.

I hope it works for you, as I've not (needed to) try it myself. Some other folks have just backed up their data and reinstalled the OS, so I guess that's an option you can keep up your sleeve. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:41 PM
  • G'day Crash,

Tried Oscar's lines in Command Prompt and they were all accepted by the system except the line :

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

This line "failed" and gave the error : 0x8000ffff

I still tried to run a backup and got the, "Unable to create volume snapshot" failure message again.

I'm not sure what to do next.........Oscar seems to have had the same error, but I don't know what he means when he says he got it "registered"?

Any ideas?

Regards

Mick
    Friday, January 11, 2008 9:22 PM
  • G'day Mick Smile

regsvr32 is the registration tool for .dlls, so that line is attempting to install (register) swprv.dll on your system. Having not done this particular process I don't know Oscar did.

The failure suggests that it was unable to find the file - can you search your system (with the "including hidden and system files" option) for swprv.dll and see if and in which folder it is to be found?

Friday, January 11, 2008 10:15 PM
  • G'day again Crash,

I searched my system as you advised and two files were found :

swprv.dll in location C:\WINDOWS\system32 and

swprv.dll in location C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Does this help?

Mick
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:04 AM
  • No worries.

Well, the file in the right place for the command to have worked, so I re-read Oscar's post.

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll ------- I was able to register it, before Iwas getting error 0x8000ffff

Well, that's what you're getting so a quick search for "swprv.dll and 0x8000ffff" produced a lot of hits, including the one from which Oscar appears to have been quoting here - see the last post, which lists other steps to be executed first. This one also looked promising.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance Sad
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 1:26 AM
  • G'day Crash,

Many thanks for your trouble and assistance in trying to fix this.   Unfortunately, nothing has worked yet........I might just wait for Microsoft to release the SP3 update for XP and see if this has any impact.

Thanks again.

Mick
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 2:47 PM
  • "A" for perseverance, Mick!

The popular - and quickest - fix is to reinstall the OS, which I guess you could do if your data were safely backed up....

Good luck!

Sunday, January 13, 2008 6:36 PM
  • Thank You!  This fix worked for me... I was getting desperate.  The drive is going bad on the computer (drive won't spin up if you turn the PC off).  So I need to replace the drive but could not get it backed up.  First it was the connector saying I had not NTFS drives (even though both drives were NTFS).  Solved that thanks to a different thread in this forum.  Then when it went to backup I got the unable to create volume errors.

I checked the shadow copy service and it was set to manual, not disabled.  I then ran through the lines you specified above   (except my   cd \windows\system32     is     cd \winnt\system32    - using XP Home).   After running through your magic lines, I rebooted and the backup is now working.

Thanks!

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:14 AM
  • I am suffering from failed backups too. Here is my situation:

Running WHS with four clients on it. Three clients are running Vista Biz 32, and the fourth XP Pro. Two run backups smoothly (XP and one Vista), the other two Vistas are failing, apparently with the same issue(s).

The first time I run a backup on these two I get:

The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume before backup.

Each subsequent time (manual or scheduled), I get:

An unexpected exception occurred on the computer. Null refrerence exception...

I have run most of the fixes in this thread inlcuding:

• Running chkdsk /f/r (no errors on either)
    • Making sure the two client backup services are able to run (set to manual)
    • Cleaning up the backups and removing old machine names
    • Deleting the database on the WHS and running discovery again
    • Reregistering the dlls (applicable ones for Vista) from Oscarr's post

Oddly enough, one of the two failing computers was running backups smoothly until I installed new drives over the weekend. I installed Vista and all apps I use. It was running XP Pro. I now have a RAID 0 configuration on it, so I'm keenly interested in backing it up!

Please offer any assistance that you can.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:06 AM
  •  Oscarr wrote:

Guys,

I had the same problem; whs not backing up my xp pro machine,continously saying run chkdsk etc wich i had done a thousand times. Volume shadow copy service running etc. etc.

Untill vssadmin list writers gave error 0x8000ffff wich i searched for on internet; the following lines worked for me,at the time i'm writing this my system is finally being backuped by whs (in my opinion,it's a pitty that whs is depending on a 'faulty'client)

Here are the magic lines:

1. From command prompt:

Cd windows\system32
    Net stop vss
    Net stop swprv
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll -------- I had XP, I guess this should work for 2003 only.
    regsvr32 msxml.dll -------- the last 3 depend on what XML versions you have installed.
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll -------- if you get error here, re-install corresponding XML version
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll

net start vss
    net start swprvc

Good post. Cured 24 hours of frustration. 

The Chkdsk /f /r must be the most misleading error message ever
    Friday, April 25, 2008 5:19 PM
  • I have an XP Home system on my network (a Dell) and backup has never worked. I tried Oscarr's list of commands and fired off a Manual backup which worked for the first time. I will now wait and see if the automatic one works.

I should also add that Volume Shadow Copy service was set to Manual and I didn't restart either of the services I stopped at the start of this work. In fact the swprv service reported that it wasn't started.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 4:31 PM
  • All,

Just to muddy the waters a little more, I was also getting this error on an XP SP2 machine.  In my case, the problem was the that the COM+ Event System and COM+ System Application services were disabled.  With these services disabled, the Volume Shadow Copy service appeared to start but it was spewing errors into the Event Log.  After enabling the COM+ services all is well.

To echo the sentiment of some other posters, Microsoft could definitely do a better job of publishing some of the common causes of this error.

Well, hope this helps and good luck to all...
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:13 AM
  • I wasted hours running chkdsk on two drives.

Sounds like this may cure my problem as well.  But, it's new to me so I don't want to screw things up modifying the registry.  Should I be using all of the last three lines as written in the solution or just one that's applicable to me?  If the latter, how do I find out which it is?  I searched the registry with "msxml" and found a large number of entries with various names, including 2, 2r, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc.  If necessary how do I reinstall an xml as noted after the msxml3.dll entry above?  Also, do these commands after the quoted part above need to be entered as well:

net start vss
      net start swprvc

Thanks,

Joe

Monday, August 25, 2008 2:41 AM
  • Joe,

If you think this is what will 'cure' your problem, then just type them all. The ones that aren't applicable to your setup just won't complete.

Yes, you need to either run the two commands afterwards, or reboot the machine.

Colin

Monday, August 25, 2008 8:34 AM
  • We'll, I've tried registering many combinations of the msxml#.exe files using the commands in the earlier postings.  (So many that I reduced the commands into a .cmd file to save wear and tear on my fingers.)  None of them work for me.  Using the script, the services are shut down if they're running, the msxml files are registered successfully and then I've restarted the services by both restarting the PC or using the net start command for vss and swprv.  The command for the vssui.dll file returns a not found error but I presume from the note on that line of the script that it may only apply to Windows 2003 (?) and I'm using XP Pro.

The PC with the problems has BitDefender Internet Security 2008 (also tried 2009) while my other PCs that backup without a problem use NIS 2008.  I've spent days with BD tech support trying to solve the problem but after uninstalling it, running the vss script, rebooting and having the backup fail again, it appears that's not the problem.

Has anyone seen another solution to this issue or a tech support number at HP for the HP MediaSmart Server or MS for WHS?  I'm at my wits end!!!!

Thanks,

Joe

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:38 PM
  •  joesobel wrote:

We'll, I've tried registering many combinations of the msxml#.exe files using the commands in the earlier postings.  (So many that I reduced the commands into a .cmd file to save wear and tear on my fingers.)  None of them work for me.  Using the script, the services are shut down if they're running, the msxml files are registered successfully and then I've restarted the services by both restarting the PC or using the net start command for vss and swprv.  The command for the vssui.dll file returns a not found error but I presume from the note on that line of the script that it may only apply to Windows 2003 (?) and I'm using XP Pro.

The PC with the problems has BitDefender Internet Security 2008 (also tried 2009) while my other PCs that backup without a problem use NIS 2008.  I've spent days with BD tech support trying to solve the problem but after uninstalling it, running the vss script, rebooting and having the backup fail again, it appears that's not the problem.

Has anyone seen another solution to this issue or a tech support number at HP for the HP MediaSmart Server or MS for WHS?  I'm at my wits end!!!!

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Instead of the random trial and error approach I would advise you to try solving the problem in logical manner. Apparently the solution provided in this thread does not apply to you, or you are making some mistake. To avoid confusion and endless threads of unrelated problems please start a new thread. Make sure client and server are up to date. Then:

1. What's the exact error phrase you get?

2. Can you please have a look in the event logs on the client and server (Start, Run, Type eventvwr.msc, Hit Enter). Look for errors around the time the backup failed.

3. Have look at the latest backupengine log on the client immediately after a failing (Manual) backup. You should find the logs in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs, look for error messages

4. Try reinstalling the connector software from http://yourservername:55000

5. Check your firewall settings.

a. Make sure the correct ports are allowed in your firewall(s) Home Networking, page 11.

b. You may also need to allow the backup application (I think it's Backupnow.exer in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server

6. Have you installed any third party backup applications? (Even if you uninstalled this could still be problematic)

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Thanks brubber.  Luckily I went through all your suggestions before starting and got an idea after reading number 6.  I had installed Norton Ghost because someone in a previous call to HP tech support on another matter said I couldn't restore the system, only files and folders, with WHS and I wanted to be able to image the disk at a future point.  (In a call tonight to HP support they said that's wrong and the entire system, programs, etc can be restored.)

I was able to use an XP system restore point before Ghost was installed and that fixed the problem.

Joe

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Thanks everybody.  After enabling and starting the Volume Shadow Service, verifying that the COM services were running, and copying and pasting into a batch file then running the "magic lines" from Oscarr, I finally got past the "unable to create volume snapshot" error and have a completed WHS backup.  As others have noted, the "vssui.dll" line doesn't run under XP, but I just commented it out and reran the batch file.

As others have noted, it shouldn't be this hard.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 9:21 PM
  • I'm glad I checked this forum.  I've been working for hours trying to get one of my old PCs backed up and also seeing the shared folders on the WHS.  I had forgotten that I had unchecked Client for the Microsoft network and File and printer sharing in the network setting as well as turing off the Volume Shadow service on the computer.  The network setting being turned off just give an error that you do not have rights to see the shared folder on the WHS, and as others have mentioned the error with backing up if the Volume Shadow copy service is turn off.

Microsoft should have done a better job of checking such setting when the Connector software runs.  Right now it just finishes with no errors. 

This is definitely not user friendly software if your PC has changed from a fresh install, and this doesn't even take into account the problems not addressed if you are running any third party anti-virus or firewall software. I'm not impressed so far.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 3:40 PM
  • I just started having a similar problem and was able to fix it the same day.

On my PC I had Norton 360 v2 and Ghost 14.
    When I tried upgrading 360 to IS9 the 360 didn't want to uninstalled properly so I was forced to use Norton Remove tool.
    Well that remove tool tried to remove Ghost at the same time and hosed something down with it.
    I had to reinstall Ghost in order to get rid of the problem.
    Going to try to uninstall it tonight by itself.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 11:14 AM