Any chance a future version of WHS would use parity instead of mirroring? RRS feed

• Question

• It would sure free up alot of space and still have redundency. Though I imagine you wouldn't comment on future plans but just thought i'd ask.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 3:45 PM

Answers

• (moved to the suggestions forum)

Parity calculations, implemented at the operating system level, are why RAID 5 arrays built through the Disk Management tools in windows are so slow. For adequate performance, Windows Home Server would require a hardware RAID solution, and that would add significantly to the bottom line. So no, I doubt that you will see parity rather than mirroring.

However, if you feel strongly about this, you might wnat to submit a product suggestion on Connect.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 5:29 PM

All replies

• (moved to the suggestions forum)

Parity calculations, implemented at the operating system level, are why RAID 5 arrays built through the Disk Management tools in windows are so slow. For adequate performance, Windows Home Server would require a hardware RAID solution, and that would add significantly to the bottom line. So no, I doubt that you will see parity rather than mirroring.

However, if you feel strongly about this, you might wnat to submit a product suggestion on Connect.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 5:29 PM
  • It would increase the cost, no doubt about that. However having to buy double the hard drives to retain redundency adds greatly to the cost as well. At least with parity we can make smaller servers that can accomplish the same thing and use less power doing it.

Would be nice to have the option for those of us building our own.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 11:38 PM