installing OCS2007R2 on Exchange 2007 hub transport in Win 2008 resource domain? RRS feed

• Question

• So I've been tossed the management medicine ball of having OCS up and running in 30 days.  It seems that, after years of not listening to me about the dangers of public IM for intra-office communication, some financial pain has caused management to get religion.

My problem is that I have no money for new hardware, and few servers not either wheezing their last or committed to something else.  The ones with the greatest spare capacity are our new Exchange 2007 hub transport/client access servers.  We also have a pair of new mailbox servers, but they're part of a CCR cluster and I'm not going to tinker with that.

The hub transports are Windows 2008 standard x64.  They are part of a Windows 2008 resource forest; users log on to, and most other resources are in, a Windows 2003 forest.  We want to begin moving user accounts to the resource forest and aggregate the other divisional forests as sub-domains, so the Exchange 2007 forest would be where we want new enterprise-wide resources, e.g. OCS, to be hosted.  Users accessing OCS will remain in the Windows 2003 forest for the time being, though.

We have approximately 110 users spread across three sites.  The two branch offices already access Exchange via a combination of VPN and Outlook Anywhere.  No problems there.

To make this more complex, we're buying an OCS enterprise server license, but only standard CALs.  We have immediate plans to only use the standard CAL features.

From what reading I've been able to do so far, it seems like the features most likely to conflict are the OCS voice and Exchange UM features, neither of which we're going to use for now.

My question is: can I successfully install all the OCS standard functions I need for IM and basic chat on an Exchange 2007 hub transport and client access server running Windows 2008 standard x64?  Are there any good resources for caveats, et cetera, in this configuration?

If there's a good OCS-for-dummies resource out there also, I'd be obliged if someone could point it out...
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:51 PM

All replies

• The previously release of OCS 2007 will not work on either an x64 operating system or Windows 2008 Server.  The recently released 2007 R2 edition is supported in for both Server 2008 and x64 platforms.  Have you already purchased licenses for OCS 2007?  Also collocating OCS with Exchange 2007 is not something I've ever attempted and I don't recall anyone actually getting it to all work on one box.  At best it is highly recommended against and probably not even supported.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 10:21 PM
  • How about this: Running R2 on HyperV is almost supported (not sure what they plan on doing for mid 09 but we have a customer running R1 on ESX without any problems.. even the mediation server (we strictly advised against that and won't do any quality troubleshooting) and our R2 lab is also entirely virtualized and besides being somewhat slow since the server is overloaded it works quite nicely) so since your hub transport is a W2k8 install the RTM HyperV and run OCS R2 virtualized on it.. that way it won't interfere with Exchange for all intents and purposes you have two separate boxes.

And if performance isn't up to the expectations, you have a good case for getting a separate box.

Regards
    Stephan
    Monday, February 9, 2009 1:02 PM